Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-01-2003, 05:44 PM

Default How are your mixes sounding in PTHD?

Hello,

I have been very pleased with the results my HD rig is producing and I was wondering how most of you feel about moving from a Mix system to the HD.

I must admit that I was a little skeptical at first concerning the mix buss issue, but I'm convinced that the HD system is turning out a more solid stereo image and a much clearer sonic imprint.

How has HD impacted your work? I also contribute the excellent converters for giving me a better picture (D-A) while mixing.

Thanks, Chad [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
iMac 27"
3.4 GHZ 8 Core i7
8 gigs of ram
003 Factory

Chad Evans
Chief Engineer
Gaither Studios
Owner/Operator Big Mix Productions
Old 02-03-2003, 08:27 AM

Default Re: How are your mixes sounding in PTHD?

Quote:
Originally posted by c.evans:
Hello,

I have been very pleased with the results my HD rig is producing and I was wondering how most of you feel about moving from a Mix system to the HD.

I must admit that I was a little skeptical at first concerning the mix buss issue, but I'm convinced that the HD system is turning out a more solid stereo image and a much clearer sonic imprint.

How has HD impacted your work? I also contribute the excellent converters for giving me a better picture (D-A) while mixing.

Thanks, Chad [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The box sounds very good. I still long for a delay compensated mixer model. But it's not killing me, either.

For reference, I moved from a Neve Logic 2 and Logic 3, and aside from missing a lot more knobs for speed issues and the fact that ProTools has to stop playback to write auto to end or start or through (this is a previous rant)..... I have to say I really like it. I'm on a Control 24, and the 4 letter scibble strip is a tad of a pain, but as you use it, you figure it out. I love mapping plugs to the faders. It is not as fast as just grabbing a knob, but it is much easier to slap 6 faders around than to grab 6 knobs at once for some changes.

Oh yeah... the Logic was great for interrogating a channel and seeing the routing structure for that channel through the whole console, including multiple groups and multiple mains. Now, I sometimes I have to really take a few moments and dig into the ProTools mixer to ensure I have all my stems, aux returns, and disc tracks routed correctly. This is one thing that's not as easy in ProTools as the Neve. But then again, the PTools routing structure is much more flexible. So, give and take, ay?

For those on a console now looking to jump, it will take a bit to change your work flow and optimize to the new environment. But the first time you make an edit in the audio and carry the automation with it, you'll be very happy. I used to dread stringing out promos or cutting down a doc to clock, because the braintime spent cutting the automation was extremely painful. Now I make the edit and smooth the transition. Or, for promos, make the copy and toss in the new tags. It's great.

And it does, IMHO, sound very good.

Brad McIlvaine
Audio Mixer/Designer
Henninger Digital Audio/1150 Post
Washington, DC 20036
Washington, DC 20036
Old 02-03-2003, 09:40 AM

Using the 96 interface might result in the same decent sound compared to mix with an 888/24 but using the 192 is certainly an improvement. At least that is the consensus of many including myself.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tron:
At the same sampling freq the only difference between HD and Mix is HEADROOM. The sound is exactly the same.
At 192kHz the sound is slightly better (AS IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry Tron. At the the same sample rate the fidelity is noticeably better with HD. This has to do primarily with the
converters, their clock stability & power supply. The new
mixer also makes a difference with very large sessions + it
does have a bunch more headroom. I think it's 48db

lp
Old 02-04-2003, 10:07 AM

Perhaps our friend Tron is just trying to make himself feel better about selling his Mix rig and going all native instead of going HD. I guess I would try to justify it as well, but at least I would try to be honest instead of spreading unsupported opinion.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:26 AM

Tron, you couldn't be more wrong. My old sessions sound better in HD at the same rate. My new sessions sound amazing. You should remove your bias from around your ears and truly let them rule.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:39 AM

Tron,
You are so wrong. I did an album two years ago on a mix system; it makes me weep to hear the same sesssions through HD with a 192.

I wish i had it then.

Don't forget about the music