Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 AM

Default EQ in PRotools SE

Im new to protools and just purchased the M-Audio MoblePre with Protools SE to do voiceovers. Ive set it up to my MacBook Pro and began to record. Ive noticed a dull maybe dead sound. How do I fix this problem. The controls I have in the protools SE are,

LOW SHELF, LM FREQ, LM GAIN, HM FREQ, HM GAIN, HIGH SHELF

Can anyone explain what they mean. I've tried looking it up but am having trouble.

Mahalo for the help!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM

Default EQ in PRotools SE

These frequecy bands run at progressively higher frequencies, low, low-mid, high-mid, high. They are all band pass except the low and high that act as shelf filters. You can google "shelf filter" , if that term is not obvious. The band adjustment will affect the frequency that EQ filter stage is tuned to, the gain knob adjusts how much gain or attenuation is applied to signals in that band.

There are lots of online resouces, multiple videos on you tube about using EQ that you can search for. I would hope the visual plugin display and just listening to things as you play with them explains what is going on. Grab some favorite commercial music with a wide range of say drums and vocals and paste it into a track in an empty session, stick an EQ plugin on that and just play with it.

if you are stuck on this type of stuff, my suspicion is that you are you provably would be better off sitting back with a tutorial, introductory guide or course. Two suggestions there are to look at the online Pro Tools specific courseware from Lynda.com or the general material from Allen Parsons http://www.artandscienceofsound.com/.

Darryl