Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2006, 03:12 AM

Default Any Amplitube users?

HI, because of lack of funds, my guitarist and i have been recording direct input just using a boss effects pedal (doesnt sound very proffesional, but never the less can sound very heavy)

i have amplitube but can never get a good heavy sound out of it

does anyone have any certain eqs, pre sets, tricks or tips they could tell me?

do you use two amplitbe inserts at once? one tube amp, one crunch etc

i can never get a thick, crunchy amp sound

i've tried their pre-sets but they all suck

any advice would help

if not ill just go back to my effects pedal straight to the m box ( it doesnt sound too bad)

thanks guys

p.s im not tring to make a proffesional sounding cd, just a few good demos that sound reasonably ok.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Any Amplitube users?

I don't know for sure what you mean by "heavy." I have a few demos online that I made just for fun, where nearly all the guitars are direct w Amplitube LE. If any of them sound "heavy," let me know which piece(s)/part(s), and I'll be glad to tell you how it was recorded and processed.

http://www.elvenminstrel.com/games/doommusic.htm

The relevant tunes are Nuclear, Lost, and Acid Rock. Mp3 versions, of course.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM

I record my guitars direct into PTLE (Mbox1 instrument input) with Amplitude on that tracks input. When I'm tracking I don't worry about what the sound is like from the Amplitude, I just get something that I can feel good enough to jam to. You'll notice that if you bypass the plug-in your guitar was recorded "dry".

After recording I'll worry about sounds. I'll usually bus my "dry" track to two or three aux inputs with Amplitude on the aux's and play with the tones until I get a blend of sounds I like. I've never gotten a sound that I was 100% happy with with one instance of Amplitude, then again I remember hooking a guitar to multiple amps and miking them for sessions too (anyone else record before computers?!?!).

Oh! If you doing this set the busses on your original track to pre-fader and mute the original "dry" track (unless you want to mix the dry tone into your guitar sound).
Old 07-26-2006, 07:21 AM

Quote:
(anyone else record before computers?!?!).
There was a time before computers?!?!?! Oh, yeah, you mean back when recordings sounded good.

Quote:
set the busses on your original track to pre-fader and mute the original "dry" track (unless you want to mix the dry tone into your guitar sound).
Either that or set the output of the guitar track to a single bus. Then set up 3 or 4 mono auxes that all receive from that bus.

Adding a short delay plug, maybe even with a little modulation, to all but one of those auxes, before the amp plug, can help get a bigger, lusher sound.

For a really powerful and somewhat horrifying sound, try Lo-fi in front of an amp plug. Reduce the bit depth down into the single digits and fiddle with the other parameters.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 07-27-2006, 12:05 AM

Thanks guys,

however i am recording - illiterate

all that stuff you said is all greek to me.

can you please tell me how do that stuff??

maybe in step by step form??

thanks so much dudes
Old 07-27-2006, 07:07 AM

Let me start by saying that I dont use Amp Simulators much. I like a good ol 57 for my guitars.
You want a heavy sound right? Metal?

Well, I do a lot of melodic and thrash metal. The hardest thing with Amplitude is that it doesnt give you that deep sound with the bite you need. When you get bite, you lack clarity. I track my guitars dry into PT with an Amplitude plug in, then do what I call "re-amping" out of pro tools into my rig, then mic that. Basically, I record my amp after I have already laid out the track. Since you are new, this may be too much.
Your best bet is to use ONE instance of Amplitue and tweak it until its pretty close to what you are looking for. Then add a 4 band EQ. From there, you should be able to get closer to your liking. If you need a bigger sound, double the guitar track and pan one hard left and the other hard right.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:56 PM

I love the "re-amping" idea! I'll have to try that.