Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-06-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Audio is really quiet after bounce

Can anyone help me out and explain to me something?

After the mixing is done in pro tools, I bounce a song to disk, usually as a wav, when I import to itunes, and play it, the volume is a lot quieter than any other songs i have in the itunes. What could be causing this? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Audio is really quiet after bounce

Make sure your Master volume is high enough during bounce so that the volume is up on the bounce to disk, as compared to what is coming out of your monitors as you're listening to the bounce (since you can change your monitor volume differently than your bounce volume).
Dan'o
Old 10-06-2007, 12:03 PM

Mixing is not the last step in production. Your music still needs to be mastered. If you're comparing your Pro Tools bounce to a commercial CD in iTunes, you should expect a pretty dramatic level difference, as commercial releases have all been mastered. Adding to that, these days it's in vogue to make your CD louder than anything that came before it, because "loud" is associated with "pro" (plus, things generally sound better turned up louder -- but that's what the listener's volume knob is for). Listen to any recent pop/rock/hip hop release and you'll hear distortion and clipping all over the place. This is because the loudness wars have forced Mastering Engineers to over-limit the mixes they receive. It's a sad state of affairs in a time when productions are otherwise very creative and interesting.

Look around on the internet for more info on Mastering and Loudness War, and that should clear things up a bit. Bob Katz has a useful website (www.digido.com) that might help.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 10-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Make sure your Master volume is high enough during bounce so that the volume is up on the bounce to disk, as compared to what is coming out of your monitors as you're listening to the bounce (since you can change your monitor volume differently than your bounce volume).
Dan'o
Another good point