Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2015, 07:03 PM

Default 003 is bypassing monitor knob at full volume on one channel only

Hi and thanks for reading.

I own a digidesign 003 Board interface running pro tools 11 and I wanted to have an easy A/B monitor option. Without realizing the 003 has both a "Main out" and "Alt CR", I purchased a patch bay and figured I would Just patch the Monitors in and out. I ran TRS cables from my 003's main output to the patch bay, and then ran a another 2 pairs of cables from my patch bay to monitors A and monitors B, that I could switch between using a patch cable.

After running all the wires and in a protools session, I switched the patch to my alternate monitors and the 003 then started making a whining sound and then became unresponsive. I powered down the 003. looked into my routing, which seemed correct and then realized the 003 already had and existing secondary output the "Alt CR". None the less I rewired, ditched the patch bay and both outputs on the 003 now work as should… EXCEPT

Now the left side of my outputs are at max volume. Im not sure of it is the left side. Its the bottom jack between the 2 TRS outputs. The Monitor know has not control of the one side. It seems that the internal master fader in protools can control the output but the knob on the 003 seems to be bypassed. Again one side (The top Jack) is affected by the monitor volume knob but the one below it seems to be bypassed. So strange.

I feel as though I had all the routing ran properly but that just does not align with me having an immediate issue. All my inputs on the 003 work fine. That is its only issue. My workaround is splitting the top jack but I know there are all kinds of fazing problems by doing that. Any help would be much appreciated. I already broke the bank buying this yet alone repairing it. Thanks in advance.

Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7
OS 10.8.5
Digidesign 003 Board Interface (Second Gen)
Pro Tools 11.2.1.203
16Gig Ram
Old 01-08-2015, 08:39 PM

Default Re: 003 is bypassing monitor knob at full volume on one channel only

I would start by putting the cabling back to the exact configuration that worked before. It that STILL works, then retrace your cables(remember that the output pairs on the 003 are over/under, not side by side) or maybe check the patchbay. If it was used, maybe someone did some odd wiring connections inside, or something is normalled that shouldn't be. Beyond that, how much knowledge/experience do you have with patchbays? Sometimes they are not intuitive

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-09-2015, 07:42 AM

Default Re: 003 is bypassing monitor knob at full volume on one channel only

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I would start by putting the cabling back to the exact configuration that worked before. It that STILL works, then retrace your cables(remember that the output pairs on the 003 are over/under, not side by side) or maybe check the patchbay. If it was used, maybe someone did some odd wiring connections inside, or something is normalled that shouldn't be. Beyond that, how much knowledge/experience do you have with patchbays? Sometimes they are not intuitive

Thank you Dave. I reverted to my original setup without the patchbay and the volume knob is still not affecting the left output of the 003. So now I'm running directly from the 003 to the speakers. Here is a diagram of what what i did with the patchbay.