Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 05-07-2015, 07:05 AM

Default Avid Artist Mix Setup - Ableton

I have the latest version of EUControl 3.2.2 and the latest firmware 1.5.4 and i'm finding it incredibly frustrating to setup the Artist Mix with Ableton.

I have gone to EUCon in OS X preferences and tried to drag and drop the Ableton App onto the center preferences box as described in the manuals but nothing!! No app will drop onto this area!

Any ideas?

What's the best way to get this thing running on a Ableton Live Yosemite Mac setup?
Old 05-07-2015, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Avid Artist Mix Setup - Ableton

I don't have a solution, but I wish you luck. I have tried and failed to get my Artist controllers to work with Reason, which uses the same protocol as Live.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:02 AM

Eucon doesn't work with ableton. You'd have to use the HUI/Mackie emulation
Old 05-08-2015, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellycrock View Post
I have the latest version of EUControl 3.2.2 and the latest firmware 1.5.4 and i'm finding it incredibly frustrating to setup the Artist Mix with Ableton.

I have gone to EUCon in OS X preferences and tried to drag and drop the Ableton App onto the center preferences box as described in the manuals but nothing!! No app will drop onto this area!

Any ideas?

What's the best way to get this thing running on a Ableton Live Yosemite Mac setup?
The exact same problem here, cannot add any applications to the EuControl preferences pane on Yosemite. However my Artist Mix worked pretty well with Ableton Live using Mackie emulation on Snow Leopard and earlier versions of EuControl.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:47 PM

As a workaround I added Ableton Live manually in the EuControl preferences file com.euphonix.EuConSystem.plist using the plist editor "Pref Setter". Add the identifier, name, path, midi ports, and protocol under the node "EuCon Applications".

All's working fine again. (If you have several versions of Live installed it's enough to add one of them.)

Old 05-09-2015, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoeglund View Post
As a workaround I added Ableton Live manually in the EuControl preferences file com.euphonix.EuConSystem.plist using the plist editor "Pref Setter". Add the identifier, name, path, midi ports, and protocol under the node "EuCon Applications".

All's working fine again. (If you have several versions of Live installed it's enough to add one of them.)

This sounds as though it could be the solution for me as it works fine in Logic X but Ableton won't drag & drop/show in preferences, which is where you select the midi ports for Ableton right??

hoeglund - would you be able to do a screenshot of your plist settings please as i've not edited these before.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:06 AM

As hoeglund mentioned, edit com.euphonix.EuConSystem.plist, which lives in /Users/*yourusername*/Library/Preferences/.

If you are using Pref Setter, add an array to the EuCon Applications item (which will then automatically be named Item 1) and then add 5 keys, all of them strings:

- App Identifier: "com.ableton.live"
- App Name: "Live"
- App Path: your path to ableton, something like "/Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app"
- MIDI Ports: "1-4"
- Protocol: "MackieControl"

Save the preferences on Pref Setter and restart your mac, you should be all set!

Here's a screenshot of the Pref Setter screen:

Last edited by Jorge Amaral; 05-11-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:14 PM

Hi Jorge - thanks for the info, unfortunately I can't see the attached image for some reason :-/ would you be able to upload it to somewhere, Dropbox etc. I've tried to edit via pref setter but I must have something wrong as the eucontrol preferences won't open now.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:25 PM

Updated the image URL, you should be able to see it now. Sorry about that.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:06 PM

Answer: prepare for frustration. Avid's support of Mackie Control Protocol is terrible.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=354097

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellycrock View Post

Any ideas?