Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 AM

Default So where are we now with the Standalone Editor?

Hey TheChimp,
So why should we believe anything has changed with regard to our requests for a 11R standalone editor this time around? These intermittent dialogs with Avid has been going on in this forum for over a year now and still nothing!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM

Default Re: So where are we now with the Standalone Editor?

It would be nice to know what's going on with it. Nothing against TheChimp, but he was very vague with his response.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM

We're probably not that far from where we were. Chimp was trying to get opinions, probably in an attempt to revitalize 11r in one way or another. We've all seen the lack of activity on here, and on 11r in general. Hopefully the immediate and overwhelming response on this forum influences Avid to breathe some life into the product.

I believe Chimp when he says he loves 11r. I think we all do, otherwise we'd all moved on to other products. We all know where the niggles and gaps are, let's try and give Chimp our support so he can lobby for us at Avid.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
It would be nice to know what's going on with it. Nothing against TheChimp, but he was very vague with his response.
Agreed!Why does Chimp have comment but not say anything????

Bzer over at 11rUG can create a program that loads TFX files w/o PT and has none of Avids resources at his disposal. So how involved would it be for Avid to port over a stand alone editor??? WTF???? This nickel dime mindset with Avid is the reason I switched to Logic.

Chimp's post only raises more questions, and adds frustration for any of us hoping to see a stand alone editor from Avid anytime soon...
Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 AM

Yeah, watching Bzer do his work was amazing. He was just so fast and efficient that it makes Avid look really bad. I mean, if this guy who is just doing this for fun can program up something that works pretty well and essentially provides a future for the 11R community past when Pro Tools supports it, then what does that say about how well Avid supports their products?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 PM

Shhh...

Next thing we know, Avid's lawyers will jump all over Bzer and make him remove/destroy his app.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 PM

+1
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Shhh...

Next thing we know, Avid's lawyers will jump all over Bzer and make him remove/destroy his app.
I'm not an attorney, but is the 11R a licensed product? When you buy software you don't truly own it, (when you buy a guitar you own the guitar) but when you purchase software you're granted specific rights to use that software. I've owned four Avid editing systems and those were licensed products.

You can be very sure Avid is having legal counsel render a decision regarding Bzer. I wouldn't lose any sleep if were Bzer, I went up against Avid in a legal showdown once upon a time and common sense by Avid prevailed. Bzer has a much different situation than I had but Avid would lose public opinion in a landslide if they played hardball with him.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgar View Post
Yeah, watching Bzer do his work was amazing. He was just so fast and efficient that it makes Avid look really bad. I mean, if this guy who is just doing this for fun can program up something that works pretty well and essentially provides a future for the 11R community past when Pro Tools supports it, then what does that say about how well Avid supports their products?
He can do this because he does not have dozens of other people telling him how, when, why, what color and all of the other fun little things professional developers who work for companies get to endure. I don't intend to bash anyone, but this argument is all over the place and does not hold any water in a real world corporate environment. You (meaning most everyone) could not begin to imagine the life sucking that happens to developers in big companies.

We used to laugh at the new employees who come in fresh out of school or maybe are on their 2nd job at the most. They jump around and can hardly contain their excitement. Little to they know that in 12 months' time they will be dragging their tail into the office on Sunday because the product set to go to QA just had a spec change due to the whimsical fantasies of some drool factory convinced upper management that "just adding a button" is simple and needs to be in the release. meanwhile, she left work at 3:30 on Friday and is no doubt still sleeping while our new energized young lad - who made it through the last three lay-off cuts because he is young and cheap - just saw the big picture and is regretting that BMW purchase with the first bun in the oven due out has pretty much cemented him to a smelly cubical for the next decade. Do not weep, though. After all, he didn't know his co-workers for the whole 15 years they worked there. Just the last 1/2 of the final one.

It's a sad laugh.

Get the picture?

Now add in how much it costs to create even the simplist of wicked easy applications to go through a project life cycle in even small time operations. We're talking market analysis, art work for product and marketing efforts, massive retro QA efforts to just get to a position to test, specifications drafts and the whole line of command sign off/changes/"value adding" every step of the way, IT support for the new branch of source code management and bug management software, finally two developers get involved, QA testing/fix/testing process, the final regression testing and final sign offs going up and down the chain of command and finally the release. I can assure you that the costs alone for such a lovely little innocent enough of an application getting to market are staggering. Even if short cuts are made for GUI and functionality and a lot of code-reuse (or object re-use) , that's not a drop in the bucket for as big of an effort that is needed for a company of this size and even more pertinent for an application base of this size. This is money never recoupped and just another piece of code that will have to be maintained and re-written for the next 5-10 years.

I'm not saying we don't have a right to bitch about not having even basic librarian functionality. Just don't insult real world professionals who are required to do their jobs in a certain way. Everytime someone here belittles the effort needed to simply write a gui app around some MIDI commands, I cringe. I imagine the nice little boost they got just reading the forum post. I bet they're really pumped up about working for a company who may lay them off at any minute, probably have not gotten decent raises in years, got to see their friends get canned, helped them bring their boxes of personal belongings out to the car and then walk back inside and get yelled at because their boss's boss gave in to management demands to have a 6 month project done in 1/2 the time and not miss a beat of ongoing support while doing it.

It's not an accurate assessment at any step of the process. I'm not sure we could insult a shrinking group developers any more than to keep on spewing out the same old arguments that this and other threads have implied.

Off my box. Sorry for the rant. Now where's my damn GUI at????
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM

My god, I hope that was therapeutic for you! It's time for you to get a new job my friend! Your experience certainly isn't indicative of the development environments I've been part of! Wow!