Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2015, 06:51 AM

Default Re: AAX-DSP? Yes! A crowd-funded project you can support if you use DSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thornton View Post
I suggest we leave it there as this discussion is hijacking an important issue that needs to be discussed.
Couldn't agree more. Hopefully Pro Tools Expert can review Disto once it's released in AAX-Native, perhaps make a small shout out to the KickStarter campaign?
Ross Martin Super Beast
Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2.66Ghz 16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.6
http://www.keith-moore.org
Old 10-05-2015, 08:42 AM

Default Re: AAX-DSP? Yes! A crowd-funded project you can support if you use DSP.

Quote:
Hopefully Pro Tools Expert can review Disto once it's released in AAX-Native, perhaps make a small shout out to the KickStarter campaign?
Absolutely, and we have some other plans to help Quinto get going too.

Mike.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Mike.
I very much so like the sound of that...
Ross Martin Super Beast
OSX 10.14.6
Old 10-06-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:

Mike.
Now that's some good news

Wave-T.com
Old 10-07-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Mike from Pro Tools Expert here.

Those "damned ads" are the way we can bring the huge amount of free content to the Pro Tools community. We are producing 3 to 6 stories a day on the site and these aren't just copied and pasted press releases, these are carefully consisted pieces, team members spending 20 hours on a mic preamp shoot out. Having team members at major trade shows reporting on the latest information. Helping people walk their way through the new Avid licensing system. Providing detailed video previews of products before they are released. All this takes time, and then there is the infrastructure to keep the site running, which because of the visitor numbers is significant.

We have just upgraded the system that delivers those damned ads so that shouldn't delay the content loading.

As to the comment that our content favours advertisers, as the editor I can that is complete rubbish. We have a very strong editorial independence and if you listen to the podcast we actually challenged Quinto's claims about how easy it is to code for AAX DSP as we talk to a lot of the developers behind the scenes.

We have advertisers that completely respect our independence and know that we will dig around to get the latest info.

If have any ideas of how to run and fund a site of our size and level of output without those damned ads, I would be very interested to here it. Meanwhile, I have a roof over my head and my family are being cared for.

Mike

Editor Pro Tools Expert
Glad to hear you fixed much of the advertising debacle on your site.

I had just assumed with the constant content and reviews of anything UA related, Izotope, PA, Waves, Studio 1, and a couple others that dominate most all of the reviews are paid advertisers. I apologize if I am wrong. That is where my comments stem from. If you support developers like Quinto for free to help to them out, that is wonderful thing and should be commended. What other developers do you do this for?? It deserves some recognition and sure they wouldn't mind a shout out!!

I stand by all the "Pro Tools sucks" blogs the last year or so as ridiculous click bait though. But I am glad you are making enough money from it to pay the family. I know how tough that can be at times!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10

Last edited by guitardom; 10-07-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:31 AM

Hey DSP users! 10 days left! Give it a shot, you have nothing to loose! If i'd have HDX i'd participate!
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 10-13-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiii View Post
Hey DSP users! 10 days left! Give it a shot, you have nothing to loose! If i'd have HDX i'd participate!
+1,000,000,000. Gonna be sad if this falls through.
Ross Martin Super Beast
OSX 10.14.6
Old 10-14-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore View Post

+1,000,000,000. Gonna be sad if this falls through.

If it fails, it wont be due to lack of interest - It will be lack of awareness.

There's still time, but the Kickstarters that get funded do so because, either :

a) They have a well established fan base.

b) Their campaign to raise awareness of the project is tireless, and ubiquitous.

or

c) Because the project has a very broad appeal.

a) At this time, SKNote don't have a history with Pro Tools user base, so it's always going to be a tough sell trying to convince us to pitch in with something that is not only new, but difficult to integrate (without using 3rd party "wrappers") for evaluation purposes / impossible to evaluate in it's intended role (as it has never existed in TDM, and is in the Catch 22 situation of not being available for testing in AAX-DSP, unless the Kickstarter gets funded to create the AAX-DSP version). Furthermore, there's the reluctance to give up on companies that already have a long history with Pro Tools user base, and have given a glimmer of hope they will deliver AAX-DSP, whilst we make do with their Native offerings.

b) The publicity campaign is suffering from signal to noise, as it is largely reliant on the target audience finding it, amongst all the other traffic.

c) Audio plug-ins, are something of a niche market. Pro Tools specific plug-in formats, even more so. Pro Tools DSP plug-ins narrows the field further.

You can do something regarding a & b.

With regards to c, it is what it is.

Best of luck, and we'll keep spreading the word.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:29 AM

Default PT EXPERT: Interview With Quinto Sardo From Sknote Talks About Plug-in Development

Interview With Quinto Sardo From Sknote Talks About Plug-in Development

There has been quite a lot of debate recently about AAX DSP plug-in development recently with Kush Audio announcing that they would not be continuing to develop AAX DSP plug-ins and then Sknote announcing a Kickstarter project because they wanted to develop for the AAX DSP market. A lot has been said and so we thought it would be good to find out some more about the new kid on the block Sknote and Quinto Sardo has agreed to be interviewed, so what follows is our chat over email and then a response from Michael Carnes of Exponential Audio...

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...in-development
Old 10-21-2015, 08:10 AM

The end is nigh! Tis but 50 hours left!

Phone +46707773443