Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-09-2005, 08:03 PM

Default URS E.Q.\'s - Do I really need them all?

URS E.Q.'s - Do I really need them all?

I already have the Classic Console EQ Bundle TDM and the N12 Native and the BLT TDM.

I would like to have the Fultec and both N12 and A10 in TDM.

Do I really need the S series and MIX EQ Bundle?

Also what are some of your favorite URS plugs and what do you use them on?

Thanks,

KC
Old 06-09-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: URS E.Q.\'s - Do I really need them all?

The Neve, API and Fulteck are indespenceable to me, vocals, Neve, Gtr, Drums, API, Fultec, Warmth to anything. The SSl Eq is great to for console master fater or adding thatharsh sound we love so deom SSL.. That's it!

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 06-10-2005, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the reply.

There has to be some more URS user here.

What about it?

Thanks,

KC
Old 06-10-2005, 11:06 PM

If you have the dough then go for it, you can't go wrong. The URS EQ's IMHO are the only digital EQ's that are worth a crap. All the others (except for the BF Pultec) sound exactly the same. Waves,Sony, Filter Bank are all unmusical and unusable.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:59 AM

Although I wouldn´t agree that Sony and McDSP sound aweful or the same,
I go with that a URS is never wrong.

I don´t think you acutally NEED the S and MIX but since they are together on a "cheap" bundle, it´s a nice addition.

I´d say go with the A and N flavours first, then the Fultec.

I actually put an URS on every track, mostly the untweaked BLT, since it sounds better just by running the audio though it.

regs
Old 06-11-2005, 05:42 AM

I bought the EVERYTHING BUNDLE with their Rent to own plan. 300 a month is easy and lighter on the pockets then dumping 1200 at once. I use the NEVE plugs all the time now and have not used my Waves EQ for not sure how long now.

Well worth it. The song below was done using them. FULTEC on the master fader and URS Neve plugs for kick and snare. Used a few others for overheads and hat. I really like them.

- Doc

LOVEKILLER

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 06-11-2005, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Waves,Sony, Filter Bank are all unmusical and unusable.
mmmm interesting. Where, in your world, do I (and the countless users of these plugins) fit then, as a user of both Waves renaissance and Sony EQ (and even McDsp from time to time): incompetent, deaf ?

But after all who knows, maybe you are right. Time will tell... in the end

I for one am always interested in opinions that challenge my habits, as this has often enabled me to improve on my work. This forum is a great place pecisely for that reason.

BUT it also has made me very cautious in delivering such definitive jugements, because I don't like making an fool of myself...
Mac Pro 2013 & Chassis
Old 06-11-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Waves,Sony, Filter Bank are all unmusical and unusable.
mmmm interesting. Where, in your world, do I (and the countless users of these plugins) fit then, as a user of both Waves renaissance and Sony EQ (and even McDsp from time to time): incompetent, deaf ?

But after all who knows, maybe you are right. Time will tell... in the end

I for one am always interested in opinions that challenge my habits, as this has often enabled me to improve on my work. This forum is a great place pecisely for that reason.

BUT it also has made me very cautious in delivering such definitive jugements, because I don't like making an fool of myself...

This definitive judgement was preceded by the letters IMHO. Yes it is a strong opinion, and that is all it is. I do not like any of the aforementioned eqs. I think they're all the same. I love the URS eqs so much they have caused me to have a disdain for the others. It's nothing personal, I just don't like how they sound. It is worth your $$$ to buy all of them.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:35 PM

Default show me how to justify the URS plugins.

I've never had the opportunity to mix my music on a SSL, or with vintage hardware EQ's. so ok i love the idea of having Emulations of great sounding hardware . i've been playing with the URS demos all night, and I would like to buy some new plugins to add new colors to my mixes.

i've been comparing the URS EQ's one by one to the new DiGi EQ3. i've been matching Q's, Gains, and freq's. and i haven't found a sound from a URS EQ i cant dial into the EQ3 or at least very very close..

where is this analog highend magic? i've been testing with drums, bass, violin, and acoustic guitar tracks. i'm trying really hard to find a reason for a USR EQ... so far the only thing i can think of is if you are used to using them and like the way they dial in settings.. sonically i cant find a benefit. trust me i really want to..

ok and the comment about just having them in as an flat insert to color the sound is BS. i put a BLT on a track with a 16 hz to 22khz sweep, bounced and the tracks/wavforms are identical. so i thought ok maybe it's in bypass until you adjust a gain. so i cranked the highend .1db and the level -.1db and almost nill to no difference in the bounced file.. where is the analog sound of the circuitry that everyone is talking about? i know if i put a flat BF2A or 3A i'll hear the color/change..

can someone give me a working example to try so i can see a benefit of spending the cash for these EQ's.. they do sound great but nothing i cant recreate. is the benefit just having the eq curves of the hardware? just so you don't have to spend time setting up a standard EQ?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: show me how to justify the URS plugins.

Vieris, I haven't tried the URS, so this is not the anwser, but, when you do tests like that make sure:
1. Don't test them with headphones only.
2. Your monitoring system/speakers has to be of very good quality to judge, or at least you have to know them really well.
3. Your controlroom has to be acousticly well balanced to actually hear and feel some of these differences.
4. Keep in mind that small differences in the path can make big changes in the finishing stages of a tune.

Other than that, I really don't know that much about it...

BR Tubz