Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-30-2006, 01:27 AM

Default PT 7.1: Surrounded by BUGS

Hi, anybody come across this nonsense?:

1. Using 5.1 master fader automation to trim noise at track starts puts the software into a tizzy-fit where it outputs what sounds like reverb returns in Lf and Rf channels, and god knows what on other channels...taking the master out of automation read fixes it. Did you guys test this software? I mean....REALLY?

2. Attempting to bounce 5.1 mixes to disk often results in an error message stating that "there is insufficient disk space" for the bounce, and then states the additional space needed for the bounce (e.g. 1.7 GB), even if there is ten or twenty times the space required on the disk (however, this is a cool way [well...not *really*] to find out how big your 5.1 bounce is!). The "fix" is making the bounce a few seconds longer or shorter, so that the software is comfortable. This works but.....come ON! Did you guys test this software? I mean....REALLY?

System:
PowerMac G4 1.25 GHz 1.25 GB RAM
OS 10.4.5 following all of Digi's "suggestions," with fonts, the clock, power saving, software update, permissions (oh brother), etc.
Lacie d2 Firewire drives
PT 7.1cs6
192 Interface, doesn't like any static, even the smallest amount makes it break out in a rash...I think it's REALLY allergic to PT 7...
Waves V5 Surround 360 Plugs, Oxford EQ, Eventide Legacy, etc. they're the latest updates they should all work

THANKS!!

KU
Old 05-30-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Re: PT 7.1: Surrounded by BUGS

No such problems here. Mixing a Film and my music stems (all 5.1) go to master faders then to the Harrison desk. Does not do what you describe. I would follow the fault finding instructions outlined by Digidesign. (Toss prefs etc.)

Simon L.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:28 PM

i am not having any of these problems either.

HD|2 ACCELL pt 7.1cs6 6.5 G RAM on a Mac 10.4.3.

so..somthin' aint right. and i KNOW how frustrating it is!

difference between you and me is i do not run Waves and i do not bounce. have you tried creatng an audio track and bussing your master to it? that's what i do and i just finished a 5.1 feature with TONS of tracks and automation and my system to the point of weeping i was eeking out DSP.... print tracks to another drive : no problems. watch film in sync with my printing : good idea.

..i suppose you are using that waves 360º stuff, hunh. could that possibly be the culprit?

does your system do this with EVERY 5.1 session?

also, COCKTAIL and DISK WARRIOR are ALWAYS A good idea!
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 05-31-2006, 01:39 AM

Yeah, it still happens when I try to print the mix within the session.

I went to my shrink today and when I told him I was surrounded by bugs he said, "GET 'EM OFF ME!!"

I'm gonna spray the computer with some RAID, and then maybe trash the preferences....

Thanks, guys, for takin' the time to reply....

KU
Old 05-31-2006, 03:36 AM

Hi KU,

As far as bouncing to disk I'm sure you are aware you shouldn't bounce to the disk your session is on. That can create all kinds of problems. Is that what you are doing? I am not experiencing the problems your are speaking of.

Best,

Mitch

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi
Surround Setup
Old 05-31-2006, 04:35 PM

even though the plugins you're using may be compatible, are there leftover 6.xx plugins in your plugins folder? there was something about making sure all of those were removed. we had 6.xx plugins mixed with 7 plugins and had a lot of stability problems when running PT7.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:40 PM

I've heard rumors that Digi is looking into some issues with plug-ins on the master fader. All heresay.

As to the Waves plug-ins. There is a new (unofficial) version of the 360 bundle. It is version 5.0.5_Srnd. I got mine from Digidesign. You could probably get this upgrade through Waves as well.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:14 PM

Are you bouncing to disk or busing to a new track and recording that?

the former is very ill advised

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig