Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2015, 02:57 PM

Default Groups problem

Let me start by saying that I think Albert Einstein was hired to design the GROUPS part of Pro Tools! Combine it's complicated, illogical (at least to my damaged mind), ways of implementing it's numerous features and you have a Cluster F--K! Now that I have vented here's the problem, or one of many! I had just arrived at a point where I was breezing through creating groups, modifying groups, etc. when all of a sudden this! The groups that I had created are suddenly greyed out in the group list! If I click on the track group indicator,(On the Mix window fader), It says NO ACTIVE MIX GROUP yet If I Right click in the same place it shows the tracks in the created group! Before there was also a color bar that appeared there for each group. Now it does not appear. (a different color for each group). The sad part of this is I have just bought, and am in the process of reviewing the Pro Tools 9 explained video which is great but no help with the problem I am experiencing! At least if it does I can't find it. (The guy that does the commentary must have been an auctioneer in a former life)! I sure would like some help getting back to using groups. It's such a big help when mixing. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Groups problem

Try Command + shift + G. That enables/disables groups.

I actually find the groups in Protools very logical and easy to use..
Old 01-21-2015, 05:21 AM

I'm happy for you! Thanks.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilmulay View Post
Try Command + shift + G. That enables/disables groups.

I actually find the groups in Protools very logical and easy to use..
Terry is on a PC, so try Ctrl+shift+G. Not at my machine today so I can't check(but I agree it sounds like all groups are suspended) Then, you might also show the groups and be able to right-click and activate them from the list. The more you USE groups, the more you will want to have that left side window open(track list above, and group list below).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-21-2015, 09:52 AM

Yes it's Ctrl+shift +G on PC..
Old 01-21-2015, 11:36 AM

Thanks albee. I think your right about the all groups. Somewhere along the line the all group became activated and now every time I open the session the all group is on! I have to click on "suspend all groups" to turn it off. None of the other groups will activate. (No individual color bar for each track in the group). When I click the button that is just above each fader in Mix view, a detail popup says, "No active mix group" but when I click one of the groups I've created over in the group area,(bottom left if the track list is activated), then It will show the tracks in that group! The individual groups, a, b, etc., are all greyed out. Normally the faders should move up or down in unison if they are grouped but they don't. each fader still works independent of the others. Both Mix and Edit are selected for both screens. I have watched the training video section "Working with Groups" and I've researched the PT's books but can't find an explanation. Do you think this could be a glitch in 9.0.6 ?
Old 01-21-2015, 06:54 PM

Tough to say. I stuck with 9.0.5 as it performed significantly better than 9.0.6(why, I have no clue). I have since moved on to 10 and now(finally) 11(since my new rig seems very happy with it). As for the ALL group, you should not need to suspend all of your groups, just the "ALL" group(right-click on that one and disable it or maybe even delete it).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-21-2015, 07:01 PM

Just left clicking on it should also disable the group! If not then, something is definitely wrong..
Old 01-22-2015, 05:24 AM

Thanks albee, Such a simple solution to a problem I've been dealing with for a while now! I guess it's the semantics used to explain groups. I was interpreting "suspend all groups" as "suspend the all group"! DUH! Thanks again. I'll see if that will work for me.