Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-01-2018, 02:04 PM

Default Delay compensation ADC for side-chain inputs - please vote!

to my understanding- ADC is still an issue with side-chain inputs in v2018 (hd/non-hd). correct?

please keep this issue afloat until it's addressed!

vote here: http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea...y-Compensation

This is really frustrating, especially for HD users, and the manual work-arounds are a bit clunky/ time-consuming in dense sessions. Should not be necessary at this point.

thanks!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Delay compensation ADC for side-chain inputs - please vote!

absolutely, already voted... and with the alt-h move by samples workaround broken on mac, it's one of the few things that's a real obstacle in pro tools. One of the very few big negatives unfortunately.

I urge as many people as possible to vote, if Avid really do look at that site!
Old 02-01-2018, 06:19 PM

When did it stop working in HD? (Assuming you are using Avid interfaces). I have not noticed any issues with it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-01-2018, 06:51 PM

I'm on HD native/thunderbolt/symphony...

what I've read said it's only compensated for aax DSP plugins, regardless of interface. is yours working ok on native plugins as well?

Had not read that about only Avid interfaces though. Def could be wrong though, please let me know.

I understand there are different work arounds, but if anyone has a clear winner that works every time for HD native / aux tracks please share. Driving me nuts in my current session. The kick key send from my duplicated kick track is auditioning at two different delays on 2 different compressors (both on Aux's with no other plugs). When i compensate for a fabfilter MB on my bass mix Aux, a fab c2 on a synth mix Aux is still hearing the compensated kick trigger off time. not sure why its showing at 2 different times like that. i can't figure out how to route it properly so all SC inputs hearing my dup'd kick will audition it at the exact same time.

hope that makes sense.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:09 PM

FWIW have an update -

work around using a dummy aux track seems to work correctly after disabling/freezing the UAD API vision channel strip. the API was on a bass guitar which fed into a bass mix aux with a side chained compressor on it.

once the API was re-engaged on the bass track feeding into the bass aux, the flamming came back. so the API was reporting incorrectly to protools.

anyone know any other particular UAD plugs that report incorrectly? would be nice to have a heads up so no one else wastes time :)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 PM

Report as bug if you didn't already.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolooki View Post
I'm on HD native/thunderbolt/symphony...

what I've read said it's only compensated for aax DSP plugins, regardless of interface. is yours working ok on native plugins as well?

Had not read that about only Avid interfaces though. Def could be wrong though, please let me know.

I understand there are different work arounds, but if anyone has a clear winner that works every time for HD native / aux tracks please share. Driving me nuts in my current session. The kick key send from my duplicated kick track is auditioning at two different delays on 2 different compressors (both on Aux's with no other plugs). When i compensate for a fabfilter MB on my bass mix Aux, a fab c2 on a synth mix Aux is still hearing the compensated kick trigger off time. not sure why its showing at 2 different times like that. i can't figure out how to route it properly so all SC inputs hearing my dup'd kick will audition it at the exact same time.

hope that makes sense.
I COMPLETELY apologize!!! For some reason I was reading it as hardware insert compensation! I will slowly slide my out of here.....

That said, UAD plugins have an extreme amount of latency. I could easily see how they may cause issues and other "non" UAD plugins do not. Of course that may not be it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-02-2018, 12:04 PM

fully agreed, this is a bit of a pain. Currently side-chain inputs are only delay-compensated on HDX systems.

there are a few threads on the idea scale about it, this has the highest vote count (still only 96).

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...a-tab-comments

in case it help anyone,

my workaround with this is to duplicate whatever i want to send to a sidechain (typically a kick drum) and put in on a track with no latency inducing plugins, which i send from a pre fader send, then i can mute the track and hide it.

Then on tracks i want to use the sidechain compression on, i either use all zero latency plugs, or put the sidechained comp first in the processing chain (not usually ideal) or first commit the processing before using the sidechain compression. This keeps the side chain input in time. BUT, it would be much nicer for it to be taken care of behind the scenes like most other DAWs, and would allow a lot more creative freedom. I for one would utilize more sidechain compression techniques if it was delay comped but i'm not going to buy a hdx system fro the privilege when my native setup with HD software handles most everything else really well.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:39 PM

Absolutely, I voted up on both the IdeaScale pages. This is just ridiculous to not have this in every version of Pro Tools. It's beyond ridiculous, it's just WRONG!

It breaks a workflow that is now a standard workflow in many types of music.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:10 AM

This is paramount to what I'm trying to achieve.

what good is a sidechain if it's out of time?

FIX please