How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 01-06-2020, 08:22 PM

Default Re: 2018 MacMini experiment on ProTools HDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by steins View Post
We are running a maxed out Mac Mini with HDX-1 / Sonnet PCIe expansion chassis at work. I recently added a Sonnet eGPU chassis and a RX580 graphics card instead of using the built-in GPU, and I believe the Mac Mini runs both cooler and smoother now. I have no scientific evidence or numbers to back this up, it just feels smoother .

Stein Tore

Thank you! Just bought a new one to start testing on our stages. This is a great tip.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
We are running a maxed out Mac Mini with HDX-1 / Sonnet PCIe expansion chassis at work. I recently added a Sonnet eGPU chassis and a RX580 graphics card instead of using the built-in GPU, and I believe the Mac Mini runs both cooler and smoother now. I have no scientific evidence or numbers to back this up, it just feels smoother .

Stein Tore
Hey Stein. Which Sonnet eGPU are you using? And the RX580 is this card?
Old 01-11-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
Hey Stein. Which Sonnet eGPU are you using? And the RX580 is this card?
Hi, the Sonnet eGPU is this one: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/e...kaway-box.html

I don't remember which RX 580 brand we got, I'll have to check when I'm back at work over the weekend.

Stein Tore
Old 01-11-2020, 10:21 AM

Hi Steins!
My studio optical Thunderbolt 2 wire made fireworks in machine room and died. Now i am thinking investing in KVM solution and while I am waiting fro Rack Mount Mac Pro come out - in Mac mini. Similar setup as yours - HDX1 in Magma PCLe expansion. Since I do post work I would like to know, does Mac mini were able to run two video outputs without eGPU?
I have idea of having 1 4K monitor for PT and other for 55" HD,TV. All feeded from HDMI and t3 to HDMI adapter / dock via KVM extension.
I think it's not wise anymore to invest in T2 optical wires. Aten makes now 4k Cat5 video extension at really great prices.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artis View Post
Hi Steins!
My studio optical Thunderbolt 2 wire made fireworks in machine room and died. Now i am thinking investing in KVM solution and while I am waiting fro Rack Mount Mac Pro come out - in Mac mini. Similar setup as yours - HDX1 in Magma PCLe expansion. Since I do post work I would like to know, does Mac mini were able to run two video outputs without eGPU?
I have idea of having 1 4K monitor for PT and other for 55" HD,TV. All feeded from HDMI and t3 to HDMI adapter / dock via KVM extension.
I think it's not wise anymore to invest in T2 optical wires. Aten makes now 4k Cat5 video extension at really great prices.
Hi, we used to run two 1920x1080 video outputs from the Mac Mini before we bought the eGPU chassis. One HDMI and one DVI via USB-C adapter. So yes, two outputs works fine with this setup. I can't comment on performance with 4k, but in theory it should work over HDMI. However, the Mac Mini seems to run smoother with the Sonnet eGPU.

How did the optical TB solution work before it died? We have a machine room for the noisy gear and/or things which need to be kept cool, but I've never considered moving the Mini in there because we need TB accessible in the control room.

Stein Tore
Old 01-12-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Hi, we used to run two 1920x1080 video outputs from the Mac Mini before we bought the eGPU chassis. One HDMI and one DVI via USB-C adapter. So yes, two outputs works fine with this setup. I can't comment on performance with 4k, but in theory it should work over HDMI. However, the Mac Mini seems to run smoother with the Sonnet eGPU.

How did the optical TB solution work before it died? We have a machine room for the noisy gear and/or things which need to be kept cool, but I've never considered moving the Mini in there because we need TB accessible in the control room.

Stein Tore
Thanks Stein for reply. At least I will be able to live with 1920x1080 for a while in worst case scenario. I don't expect to have real need for 4k reference so soon. :)

I had iMac 27' 5k in control room wired to the HDX / RAID storage in machine room via T2 optical. HDX took all the heavy lifting so iMac even didn't start to sweat and were completely silent. From iMac i had T3 to HDMI adapters to TV and VO booth. Everything worked without glitch and were smooth and actually is Avid supported solution. It made sense 4 years ago as T2 were up to date technology but not any more. I already have some T3 to T2 adapters in data chain and T2 wire were slowly becoming the bottleneck. I read a rumour that optical T3 will come out sometime this year but you know - T4 is already making a sign on horizon. Going KVM route makes more sense in long run as I don't expect CAT7 wires to age out anytime soon. That makes gear replacement and updating easer because they all are kept close in machine room.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Hi, the Sonnet eGPU is this one: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/e...kaway-box.html

I don't remember which RX 580 brand we got, I'll have to check when I'm back at work over the weekend.

Stein Tore
Just checked, the RX 580 card is the ASUS/AMD one:
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RX580-O4G/

Stein Tore
Old 01-14-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Just checked, the RX 580 card is the ASUS/AMD one:
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RX580-O4G/

Stein Tore
Thank you Stein.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Hey Stein, I'm going to bug you one more time. Which Sonnet box are you using? The 550W or 650W? The Asus card spec says power supply recommended is 500w so the 550 should be fine. Just checking to see what box you're using. Thank you.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
Hey Stein, I'm going to bug you one more time. Which Sonnet box are you using? The 550W or 650W? The Asus card spec says power supply recommended is 500w so the 550 should be fine. Just checking to see what box you're using. Thank you.
No problem . Its the 550W.

Stein Tore