Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2016, 03:07 AM

Default Dock and PT 11HD

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, was reading it for a long time though.

I'm gonna get a Dock in the next week or so for a trial. I want to buy a control surface in order to speed up my editing/mixing anyway and Dock seems like a great option.

I'm currently on PT 11.3.1HD and Yosemite. The system is stable and I don't want to upgrade to PT12 at the moment.

But will the Dock work with PT11HD? I read somewhere on the forum that it does work with PT11 but at the same time it's not officially supported.

Did anyone try to do it? Can you please share the experience?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2016, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Dock and PT 11HD

Welcome to the community. The Dock is only qualified with 12.5/higher, but hopefully others will reply if they have tried with older versions.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:09 AM

I'll reply :)

Got the Dock yesterday and it works with PT11HD. Didn't have much time to play with it though. Hopefully will get some time tmrw.

Overall I like it. Feels nice, quality is good and I like the combination of Dock and PT Control. I like the tactile feel of the knobs and the fader. I like how I can change my automation very quickly and how I can assign different functions to any knob via EuCon.

Unfortunately I'm on PT11HD so I'll not buy one simply because it's not qualified. Why Avid did that is understandable, they wanna sell more PT12 but at the same time if it was qualified for PT11 as well I think a lot more people would buy it. Seems like Artist series is my only option at the moment

As for the negatives, the response from the soft knobs isn't perfect as it was mentioned many times here. I hope it will be improved. And a debacle with the iPad cable. I used iPad Air 2 with mini doc riser because I like that angle and the cable kinda ruins the whole look of the thing because you cannot put it underneath the soft knobs, only on top. And cos the standard Apple cable is white this designers mistake becomes even more obvious and annoying.

As for the functions, the need to hold Shift key and press something else is questionable. It seems it can slow people down a bit.

Overall a nice product and a step forward in the right direction but not for me at the moment.

P.S. Avid needs to make a S1 with 8 faders to replace Artist Mix. Therefore it will be a low budget solution for home studios, a S1 plus Dock. Just cut S3 in half, get rid of preamps and here you go :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2016, 05:34 PM

Final post in regards to PT Dock and PT 11 HD.

Doesn't work properly. Seems and feels a bit unstable, automation buttons will not lit up, very sluggish with older iPad.

Therefore definitely a miss for me at the moment. I have to upgrade to PT12HD first.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranor View Post
P.S. Avid needs to make a S1 with 8 faders to replace Artist Mix. Therefore it will be a low budget solution for home studios, a S1 plus Dock. Just cut S3 in half, get rid of preamps...

Good idea, covers the low end of the market and ideally shouldn't take too much R&D
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Good idea, covers the low end of the market and ideally shouldn't take too much R&D
Yeah, I think they should. At the end of the day they need to replace the Artist Mix. It's kinda outdated already, especially when you compare it with S3 in terms of quality etc.

And you are right, it shouldn't take too much R&D. Basically what we need is S3 cut in half and without pre amps. I would buy such a thing in a heart beat!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:55 AM

Yes I agree it would fill a gap in the market
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.