Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2011, 01:31 AM

Default Re: (Not so) Studio Monitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
I'm a big fan of the yamaha stuff. In the states, there's an HS80m setup at the house. Here in Japan, I got a set of HS50m's. They run like 199 a piece at sweetwater. Before that I used M Audio for home recording, and I can recommend those as well.

I've never had a Behringer product that I liked, or that lasted me more than a year. that's my bias due to past experience. I find it very important to spring a little bit more on mics and monitors as opposed to really expensive guitar stuff. Blasphemy, I know. But your monitors are the medium that you will hear all your tracks on, and if your monitors suck, what's the point of having the best modeling technology?
I've seen some of the prices that you punters pay in the US and Ishibashi and . Oh, I wish we had the same prices here, everything would be so much easier .

And I never had a Behringer product that I liked either, very biased as well, but, bought the FCB1010 as it was very cheap and with the 11prom had no programming to worry about - true plug 'n' play. If the 11prom had not been available .... but, was willing to put that bias to the side and buy the Truths if they had a lot of support.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 10-07-2011, 09:08 AM

I think the the Truths are much better quality then a lot of the stuff Behringer makes. I do not think you can really compare them against stuff like there pedels. I have bought a few things that they offer and have been a little disspointed with all of them, except the Truths.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:50 PM

I have extensively used the Behringer Truth monitors (the old version) and if you know your monitors and your room, there is no reason you cannot mix on them. They are good monitors especially for the price.

The M-Audio monitors i have used have all sounded tinny. But again, if you KNOW your monitors you can compensate in the mixing process. Maybe the new M-Audio models sound better.

Mackie makes really great monitors, I like everything thing they make, but you will be paying much more. But everything mackie that I have used, has always sounded perfect.

I've never been a fan of Yamaha monitors, but everyone has their preferences and Yamaha is a fine company, just not my cup o tea.

I also use standard Computer speakers to check my mix on.

If you really want the best then check out these

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...0-Diamond.html

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-07-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post

If you really want the best then check out these

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...0-Diamond.html
Oh my goodness ... they ... look ... exceptional. I am now going to have a serious case of unrequited GAS.

I just couldn't help myself - I found a price here in Australia, it's $37,000 a pair - there is no emoticon to express what I am feeling right now.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 10-07-2011, 07:00 PM

speaking of cheap monitors...Alesis and Fostex also make some decent stuff for playing around at home, and the price is really low on some of it.

Benoni is right about knowing your monitors. i did a mix on the behringers when they first came out, though it was ok, it wasn't on the same level as the same mix i did on the mackies. the biggest differences i heard was in the stereo field. i also couldn't hear the effects levels as clearly. you can know certain things about your monitors like they have too much bass or highs or whatever and mix around it, but a stereo field and effects level issue is a little tougher. then again, in today's almost dry metal mixes...who cares? if you are just mixing metal, you could probably get away with them.

i am a big supporter of the idea of multiple monitors. yes, i use the yamahas to get rid of the warts and mix more solid, but many times i will just put on my audio technica headphones and get a quick mix going, which ends up sounding decent.

you might start out with some decent headphones, then a cheap set of monitors, then a good set of monitors when you are ready to start really mixing a cd project.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:18 PM

I have Rokit G2 6s and I like them.
I've read fair things about B Truths too.

Another lower priced brand people seem to like are Tannoy.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Tann...k0OTY2NDEyIn19