Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2002, 06:43 PM

Default Plugins to cure distortion

I'm afraid I know the answer before I ask the question, but I'm hoping technology has addressed this by 2002.
A client gave me a CD of some great choral music recorded by student staff at one of our universities. They were obviously studying for a test or something beside watching the levels on the dat because the singing distorts on the louder passages.
It used to be that once it was distorted, that was it. I wondering if there is anything out there you know of that might at least reduce this some. I tried Waves restoration package but to no avail. Any ideas would be most appreciated. I have PT 5.1.1 and lots of plugins but not a called "distortion not."
Old 02-24-2002, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Plugins to cure distortion

Sonic Foundry has a deClippler in their Noise Reduction bundle. I haven't tried this so I don't know how it sounds. The problem, however, is that it's a Windows based DirectX plugin.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:22 PM

Steve,

I have successfully used SoundForge v.5. Its Noise Reduction plugin includes a tool called clipped peak restoration which worked wonders for me. Admittedly, the material only had a number of fairly short distorted sections and was not distorting all the way through.

Hope it helps
joanna
Old 02-24-2002, 08:02 PM

Waves didn't work huh, they told me they had some success getting rid of over-modulation. Did you use noise-reduction? Just curious!

Mike
Old 02-24-2002, 10:21 PM

I've had some luck with the limiter that ships with PT. You lower the level till it rounds off the the nasty edges of the cliped sound. Admitedly I've only used this on dialog and on music it might have some very unwanted artifacts... but might be worth a try.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:09 AM

What kind of distorsion? clicks or waveform distorsion?

For clicks there are many declickers out there, but for a massive average distortion there is only a plugin: the TRASH