Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-23-2015, 01:57 AM

Default Pt10+cptk >pt11hd >pt12 ??

Hi all,

I am at a total loss about the future support for my PT10CPTK to the "hardwareless" PT11HD upgrade I did last year.

With the changes in Avid support policy:
-Will my PT11HD also receive support until the mentioned March 2016?
-Do I need to renew support on top of my PT11HD already?
-If I upgrade from my "hardwareless" PT11HD to PT12, will I still be able to run my own IO HW?

Or has the upgrade from PT10CPTK to PT11HD given me only half a year of extra time before I'm forced to upgrade to PT12 HD/HDX anyway to maintain the functionality I had with PT10CPTK?

BTW when I purchased and registerd my PT11HD license I was given a 90 day support code, while a PT11 upgrade before the end of december 2014 is mentioned to have support until March 2016...
Old 01-23-2015, 02:10 AM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: Pt10+cptk >pt11hd >pt12 ??

If you purchased (between October 10, 2014 and December 31st) the CPTK to PTHD upgrade with support plan through March 2016, you will get the Pro Tools HD 12 Bundle license which includes Pro Tools HD 12, HD 11, and HD 10 licenses. Pro Tools 12 (HD or non-HD) will still work with 3rd party core audio and asio hardware, the same as Pro Tools 11 does.

The Pro Tools HD support plan is the ExpertPlus plan, so you would have that plan through March 2016 for any of those versions you are using:
NAMM announcement:
Quote:
All Pro Tools 12 licenses come with a support plan which, in addition to providing software updates/upgrades, offers unlimited web support and either one support phone call per month for Pro Tools or unlimited calls for Pro Tools | HD, for the duration of the plan. (Learn more by reading our Frequently Asked Questions guide.)
Old 01-23-2015, 04:26 AM

Thanks Bruce, all clear.

May I ask: why are late deciders for this upgrade receiving a warmer welcome into PT HD (including extended support) than the loyal bunch who decided in an earlier stage?

If I would have known I would have postponed a few months
Old 01-23-2015, 04:48 AM

Dear Bruce,

I bought my PT10 to PT11 native (not HD) upgrade on 2014.12.31
My question is almost the same: will I get a free upgrade to PT12?

And, where can I find in my avid master acount, that have I a support plan and how long it is valid. It sould be valid to March 2016, but I could not find it anything about this.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSS View Post
Dear Bruce,

I bought my PT10 to PT11 native (not HD) upgrade on 2014.12.31
My question is almost the same: will I get a free upgrade to PT12?

And, where can I find in my avid master acount, that have I a support plan and how long it is valid. It sould be valid to March 2016, but I could not find it anything about this.

Thanks
Hi and Welcome to the Community

If you bought your upgrade from 10 to 11 before 2014/12/31 and after October 10 th 2014 you will get the Upgrade from 11 to 12 and all the updates inbetween according to your support plan.

Regarding you not seeing that in your account I have heard it will be fixed shortly. There are many like you who can't see the Support Plan in the Master account but as you have bought into the plan you are on it and it should not be too long before you see that reflected in your Master Account.

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-23-2015, 06:33 AM

That is really tedious , as I purchased PT11HD on the 24th sept 2014, with a cut off date on the 10th October, it seems a bit unfair to a small time freelancer like myself.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:51 AM

Sorry if this has been discussed here before, every time I looked for something published on Avid.com I couldn't find any info.

I did my CTPK/PT10 to PT11HD upgrade 7/29/13. I haven't done any upgrades since. I assume when PT releases an upgrade I am interested in, I will be able to do an upgrade path to the hardware less version of PT at the upgrade rate at that time.

Am I naοve in this assumption?

Dave
Old 01-23-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshonk View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed here before, every time I looked for something published on Avid.com I couldn't find any info.

I did my CTPK/PT10 to PT11HD upgrade 7/29/13. I haven't done any upgrades since. I assume when PT releases an upgrade I am interested in, I will be able to do an upgrade path to the hardware less version of PT at the upgrade rate at that time.

Am I naοve in this assumption?

Dave
Hi Dave

If you have a HD11 version now you can upgrade to the next HD version at the price Avid sets for that. If you upgrade from HD11 to HD12 for example it looks like it costs $599 for that but I would wait until we get the info needed for any HD support plans etc and what HD12 will offer in regards to price.δ

So if you have HD11 you will be able to upgrade to HD12 when it becomes available.

Hope that was "somewhat" clear

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-23-2015, 09:25 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a related follow-up question to this topic. I currently use Pro Tools 10 and 11, and I have thought many times about taking the upgrade path described here: in purchasing a used CPTK license, and then eventually a PT11HD license upgrade. However I have not yet taken that plunge, and part of my hesitation to taking this path has been the question of where that would leave me when it came time to upgrade to PT12. (The other half is that I've always been hesitant to shop for used software licenses on ebay.)

My main need is ability to mix in 5.1. As many other users, I find it incredibly frustrating that CPTK has been discontinued, because I cannot afford to spend $6k on an HD system just to gain this one feature. I would gladly buy a similar package to CPTK for PT11 or PT12 though, were it available!

I was wondering, are there any plans in the works for something similar to CPTK for PT12? Or ANY way I'll be able to gain 5.1 workflow that's more affordable than buying an entire HD system?

Thanks,
Jared
Old 01-24-2015, 07:07 AM

What Jared said and asked is the exact same situation I'm in! I've recently setup a 5.1 system and am doing post, but I really cannot afford to buy a whole new HD Rig (which I wouldn't use, because I have a nice interface already. Either I buy a secondhand HD unused license for $1700 or I wait for an option to get surround mixing through an easier way. It's really the only feature in HD I need.