Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Default Servcie Pack 3 Upgrade Help.

HI All,

I just read that Windows XP Service Pack 3 is qualified, but I can't seem to find upgrade instructions. Is there a certain sequence to do the install as to not interfere with the Pro Tools installation??

Cheers

Willo
Old 08-02-2008, 09:29 PM

What instructions? Just go to microsoft.com and scan your computer for updates or just search for SP3 and download it.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
What instructions? Just go to microsoft.com and scan your computer for updates or just search for SP3 and download it.
Gently, now.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willosy View Post
HI All,

I just read that Windows XP Service Pack 3 is qualified, but I can't seem to find upgrade instructions. Is there a certain sequence to do the install as to not interfere with the Pro Tools installation??

Cheers

Willo
The best way to Get SP3 is to search Microsoft and download the SP3 .iso file. that way you can burn it to a CD and save all the download time should you need it again

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-03-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
HI All,

Cheers

Willo

Okay guys. Be gentle as I mustn't have explained myself correctly. Emphasis here is on the "Doesn't disturb my Pro Tools installation.

It seems that Pro Tools can be unstable at times depending on the order of which you install certain things eg:- Install Pro Tools 7.3, install all plug-ins and then upgrade to 7.4 broke my plug-ins which has now been rectified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
As above, question not based around how to install service pack 3 or how to get it. Instructions requested as to how to install it without breaking Pro Tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
The best way to Get SP3 is to search Microsoft and download the SP3 .iso file. that way you can burn it to a CD and save all the download time should you need it again

As above.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
As above, question not based around how to install service pack 3 or how to get it. Instructions requested as to how to install it without breaking Pro Tools.

If it's qualified, it shouldn't mess with PT in anyway. If it does, as simple re-install/repair of PT should fix it. I don't know of any instructions that you mentioned, but as long as you close all programs (including PT) before you install SP3, it should be fine. I don't know about anyone else, but my computer (non-PT computer) seems really slow since I installed SP3. I also updated to AVG 8 the same day I installed SP3, so that could very well be it to, but I doubt it. Because of this, I am hesitant to install SP3 on my PT computer at the moment. Let me know how it works out for you.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:05 AM

Just remember to make a complete backup of your existing system before you do any major upgrade. That way, if anything goes wrong you can be back up and running again in a very short period of time.

I recommend Acronis True Image for making full backups of your system disk, though other programs like Ghost and Casper work as well.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 AM

I second the Acronis approach. I always take a backup before any new software installation or upgrade to my Pro Tools System. If something goes crazy it is no problem to be back and running in my old configuration in no time. Once the new addition has "proved" itself I then take another so I have a fresh copy of my latest configuration. How long you keep these backups around is up to you.

It really takes the guesswork out of upgrades/installations and Acronis is very reasonable priced.