Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Bounce problem

Hello,

I'm a Digi002 Rack owner with a G5 1,8GHz PPC, 2,25GB Ram, MacOS X 10.4.6, and ProTools LE 7.1 with all latest software updates, but when i 'm going to bounce a track to disk is unfortunatly if it complit.

I take the mesage "DAE can't get audio from the drive(s) fast enough. Your drive may be too slow or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or CPU load. (-9073)"

A have 2 HDD's one for the MacOs X and the protools software and the second for the audio files.Both are internal SATA 7.200RPM.

During the bounce i don't have any other (only the 002) firewire hardware on my mac.

I test all the posible setting in the playback engine but still the problem remains.

Do you have any solution???
Old 05-30-2006, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Bounce problem

One work around, and possibly a way to help understand the problem, is to avoid Bounce to Disk, and use another mehtod instead.

Set the OUTPUT of all of your tracks to an unused BUS (mono or stereo, whichever is appropriate). Then, create a New Audio Track (either mono or stereo, again whatever is appropriate), and set it's INPUTS to the BUS you specified above. Set this new track's OUTPUT to Analog 1-2 (or whatever you use for default monitoring).

You can also create a MASTER FADER with it's source set to monitor the BUS you used above (helpful for using a limiter, meter, or whatever final processing you want).

Arm RECORD for the NEW AUDIO TRACK (we'll call it MIX TRACK). Then, starting at the beginning of your material, press record. All of your tracks will play back, and the resulting mix will be recorded to the new MIX TRACK. This is doing the same thing a a Bounce to Disk. The resulting file can be exported to whatever format you want. The difference is, that you can stop and start the recording as you like, and later 'CONSOLIDATE' any regions together to make 1 long file.

This may allow you to successfully output your material since Bounce to Disk is not working for you. If this works, and Bounce does not, then you can report this to Tech Support, and see if they can further help figure whay Bounce isn't working.

Otherwise, it seems as though you have your setup correct. This workaround should work. if it chokes through the record/output, you can always pick up where it left off, and continue. This is not ideal, but it may help you get it done, and give you some info for tech support. You may also want to try different H/W buffer settings if you still have problems.

Best of Luck.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:41 AM

Don´t forget Dither as last insert on the Sum Master.

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 05-30-2006, 10:04 AM

Why dither? No mention of outputing to different sample rates. Can use Digi dither on export if needed. Maybe I missed something?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:

During the bounce i don't have any other (only the 002) firewire hardware on my mac.

I test all the posible setting in the playback engine but still the problem remains.

Do you have any solution???
The resulting file will be 16 bits, ready to burn.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:11 PM

Again, not really necessary if you are staying in the 16-bit realm start to finish. Adding a dither plug does nothing if you are working in 16-bit already. Maybe I'm missing something?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Again, not really necessary if you are staying in the 16-bit realm start to finish. Adding a dither plug does nothing if you are working in 16-bit already. Maybe I'm missing something?
To much dope?

I have made my point now.
If I understand the question right “theogood” has problems when trying to bounce his master to disk & asks for other ways to do that. As you say hi can record his master to another pair of tracks. I have just suggested that if he apply dither at the last insert, the file will be ready to burn. Just give it the right name & look for it in the Audio files folder.
The files will be as big as 24bits but the last 8 bits will be truncated without harm done by the Jam/Toast or what ever program he uses..

PS.
If the session is 24 bits than even if you imported files are 16bits to start with, they will become 24bits. PT can’t mix different file resolutions.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:48 PM

I had this problem as well. I tried bouncing to the desktop and midi was sporadic. I tried bouncing to a partition on the drive. No luck. Kept trying to no avail. Finally I was told to highlight the section I wanted to bounce and to send the bounce to the internal drive on my imac. It works every time now and I don't get the error messages that I was experiencing as you were. And I only have an imac g5 with 80gb hd and 160 fw external. It must be trying to bounce to the same drive that contains the audio so maybe the least cpu drain is straight to an internal 7200rpm that doesn't contain any audio files pertaining to the bounce!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:36 AM

Always specify by highlighting the selection, the size of the bounce. Other ways PT is going to bounce the entire session..

Old 05-31-2006, 06:07 AM

Talk about too much dope, you must be hallucinating because unless you have some other information, nowhere does the original poster state he is working in 24-bit. Adding another plug-in to dither will greater strain the system. He was asking for help with a problem. You just happened to chime in and confuse the issue. No big deal, but watch what you throw out there. Some people really do know what they are talking about.

If the original poster IS working in 24-bit, and places a Dither plug on the master fader as a final process (to achieve 16-bit), then he/she will not be able to play back the resulting file in the same protools session. They will have to close the session, create a new one in 16-bit, and import the file. The way I have described allows you to stop and start recording of the tracks as needed (if you need to tweak something or make a change), then consolidate the clips to one file, and export to the desired format (16-bit, 24-bit, 8-bit, whatever). The Dither function that occurs with a file export to be all that is needed, if you are in fact working in 24-bit, and want to export a CD-ready AIFF file.

Although you have made your point, you have missed THE point entirely. I was offering a work-around solution, AND a way to gather more info if additional tech support is needed. Oh well, I guess the internet requires that we all take the info found herein with a grain of salt. I understand your point, but it's just a shame that you don't understand anyone else's.

To those following the thread, sorry for the spat. The solution I offered is 'tried and true' and well-tested in a working professional environment.

Cheers.