Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2023, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Does the latest version fix the midi issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Hi there - Marianna again.

I did look and I see a few cases you reported with Midi issues and none were closed out with a resolution. 2023.9 does have some fixes but doubtful that the one you are referencing here is.

Are you able to upgrade to 2023.9 from the 2023.6 PT 2022.6.0 on Mac Monterey
you have going now?

I am going to comb thru to see where they are at with the Midi issues but would like to know before I create a case and run with it.

Standing by
Marianna
Thank you so much Marianna.
Yep I'm keen to update. I'll let you know how it goes.
Is it possible that Native Instruments need to fix something on their end?
Old 12-05-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The sustain and velocity not working is a very specific problem, and sorry I just don't know if other folks are running into that specific issue, others here will, and with Marianna's hopefully you can get more help from support to try to track down what is going on.

So to be clear you mean that the GUI is broken and after a while you can't click on and move velocity and sustain thingies? It might help if you had a video screencap showing that failing, if nothing else that can help get attention.

[snip - deleted irrelevant stuff about MIDI recording problems]

---

I just really really want to encourage folks to be careful discussing "MIDI problems" or "VI problems" we clearly have multiple issues going on and there is one particularly annoying repetitive problem with VIs where the MIDI input becomes disconnected. And why that's not known/discussed by bug number by now is beyond me. And with that one on one hand once you understand what is going on you can work around it, but the biggest issue there to me is so many folks will get slammed by this and have no clue what is going on and for them they might as well give up and swap DAWs. This problem is so wide spread that when you say "MIDI or VI problem" many folks here will assume you are talking about that problem, and yours sustain/velocity on is likely unrelated.

And just for kicks, on Sonoma with 2023.9 (which yes is not yet officially supported) I found a case where if you play aroung in the UI enough in Mini Grand it will hang or crash Pro Tools. I am not sure if that problem is really only Sonoma related or if it just tends to happen a lot more there. I'm on Intel and folks on Apple Silicon have not been able to reproduce that yet AFAIK, so maybe it's an Intel only thing. If you do see hangs or crashes with MiniGrand on any versions I'd love to know (and see a stack trace... that will show a clear pattern).
Thanks Darryl,

I take a screen recording and post
Old 12-05-2023, 10:49 PM

I've just made a screen recording but it looks like DUC doesn't allow .mov files? it's only 5mg

I'm using Mini Grand and the same thing has happened. I think it's a cool VI, but I pull down all the velocities of my piano tracks as I commonly use NI's Noir and Alicia Keys which sound lovely when the velocities are low.

Is there a way to upload my screen recording?
Old 12-05-2023, 11:18 PM

The best thing is to post it to YouTube as a unlisted video in HD or better and give a link here. And give that link to support folks. If you can add a voice over or titles to help explain stuff that's great also just being clear what version stuff is in the video and in the YouTube about info... so folks with no other context will know. I'm not embarrassed to just use iMovie to edit these, best video editing software out there

Just as an example, here is a screen capture video I sent to support and used here (helped get others to reproduce it), it's a bit long as it's showing a crash caused by MiniGrand that takes some messing around to happen.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Hi there - Marianna again.

I did look and I see a few cases you reported with Midi issues and none were closed out with a resolution. 2023.9 does have some fixes but doubtful that the one you are referencing here is.

Are you able to upgrade to 2023.9 from the 2023.6 PT 2022.6.0 on Mac Monterey
you have going now?

I am going to comb thru to see where they are at with the Midi issues but would like to know before I create a case and run with it.

Standing by
Marianna
Hi Marianna,

Please see this screen video:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...o4?usp=sharing

I haven't updated yet. But this has been an issue for years.

In the video, you will see I can not edit the midi notes or the velocities.
Regarding sustain - I can create a new sustain but I can't edit an existing one.
This happens within minutes of using pro tools, whether it's Avid's Grand Piano virtual or an N.I. virtual.

I would really appreciate a timeline of Avid fixing this. If it's going to take months, I'll switch to another platform. It's been years already.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:52 PM

I might be forgetting something obvious, what does the blight blue line around/across the Kontakt 7 insert mean? Or is it a screen cap artifact?

Thanks for making a video.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Hi Marianna,

Regarding sustain - I can create a new sustain but I can't edit an existing one.
This happens within minutes of using pro tools, whether it's Avid's Grand Piano virtual or an N.I. virtual.

I would really appreciate a timeline of Avid fixing this. If it's going to take months, I'll switch to another platform. It's been years already.
Hi Samba,

I know you mentioned some of the issues have a been a problem for years but how about the frozen note issue?
If you are still using Pro Tools 2022.6 -.10 those releases do have a known MIDI issue of notes freezing not allowing one to edit. The bug is random and based on session tempo etc.
That was fixed with the release of 2022.12 and has not recurred since AFAIK.

If you're still on 2022.6 -.10, the workaround for that bug is to switch to sample mode on the track and that should allow you to carry out your edits.
Just remember to switch back to tick mode before changing any tempos!
I sometimes would forget after getting into an edit.

Hope that helps with the frozen note issues at least. I think I read about the longtime sustain issue somewhere.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 12-15-2023 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:43 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Hi Marianna,

Samba

Got it and created a case 04728153 with ALL the information provided including the video. I asked the manager to specifically assign to a Midi savvy agent as the response to the last case on midi wasn't acceptable to me.

Im adding myself to the case to follow it and make sure it is addressed. My apologies for this...

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com