Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2023, 01:12 PM

Default Does the latest version fix the midi issues?

Is anyone recording midi piano without crashes in pro tools?

For years, I have needed to restart my sessions a dozen times due to PT midi breaking down.

I'll upgrade if Avid has fixed.

I'm using PT 2022.6.0 on Mac Monterey

Support told me they are constantly inundated with complaints about midi.
Hoping Avid has plans to finally deal with this
Old 11-03-2023, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Does the latest version fix the midi issues?

"Support told me they are constantly inundated with complaints about midi."

Gooood! let's flood them some more.....we need a new midi module and performance badly in PT, that would be awesome....

cMP 2 x 3,46, 128GB Ram
Monterey 12.7.4
Metric Halo 3d 2882 I/O
Lucid 88192 with Blue Sky 5.1 monitoring
10gbE ethernet with True Nas storage
Old 11-03-2023, 08:21 AM

For both posts, more info might help Basic system specs and what piano plugin can make a huge difference. Example; I love KeyScape's Yamaha C7, but it brings my rig to its knees(no crashes, but constant transport stops). My solution is to use MiniGrand(which is easy on the system) to flesh out the midi performance. Once that's all set, I remove MiniGrand, insert KeyScape and commit the track.

Beyond that, as both of you are on Mac, you could do your midi work in Logic and then import the rendered audio into PT for mixing.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-07-2023, 01:55 PM

My solution is to use MiniGrand(which is easy on the system) to flesh out the midi performance. Once that's all set, I remove MiniGrand, insert KeyScape and commit the track.

Great advice, thanks!

Do you know if Avid has any intention on implementing an actual working midi capability? Or is the software written in such a way that midi will never work well?
Old 11-22-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
For both posts, more info might help Basic system specs and what piano plugin can make a huge difference. Example; I love KeyScape's Yamaha C7, but it brings my rig to its knees(no crashes, but constant transport stops). My solution is to use MiniGrand(which is easy on the system) to flesh out the midi performance. Once that's all set, I remove MiniGrand, insert KeyScape and commit the track.

Beyond that, as both of you are on Mac, you could do your midi work in Logic and then import the rendered audio into PT for mixing.
hey Dave,

To clarify, are you saying Pro Tools isn't fully compatible with 3rd part virtual synths?
If all we can do is edit with Avid virtuals and then add a 3rd party synth at the end, it sounds like Avid isn't concerned with compatability with 3rd party virtuals.

If support is continually inundated with midi complaints, I'm guessing this situation is never getting better?
Old 11-22-2023, 01:57 PM

I bet thousands of people are recording MIDI piano without problems in Pro Tools. But what does that matter if *you* have a problem?

Nobody likely has any clue what MIDI issue you are talking about.

What is the Pro Tools bug number? Support case number? (yours or anybody else's)

The only info you have given is "Pro Tools crashes" and "PT midi breaking down" Crashes how? Silent app crash? What does the stack trace look like? Or you mean crash with an AAE error? What AAE number error? As for "breaking down" not a clue what you mean there.

You are likely just wasting time posting stuff like this thread unless you can be a little precise. And if if it's not yet an official bug is it stuck in a support case and needs to be unstuck? Do support have a good way to reproduce the issue? etc. If it's a bug what is support saying for the bug's status inside Avid engineering etc. And if you can't work the process out with Avid at least describe *exactly* what is happening.

---

Now it happens I do have a case (04705800) open with support for Pro Tools crashes/process abort() (so the app just dissapears from the screen) and related much less frequent hangs that *is* being looked at. This is triggered by the MiniGrand UI, memory allocation/deallocation while handling images in the UI. This happens on macOS Sonoma. Unclear if it also happens on other macOS releases or if its only limited to MiniGrand or possibly other plugins. I would not assume this is related to any other issue unless they share behavior, and similar stack traces. And if I don't push on abusing the UI that triggers these crashes I don't have issues... except very occasionally I'll run into the VI losing input bug (e.g. https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=423928 and many other threads... lacking from a bug number as well but at least many folks are clear what they are talking about and there is a simple workaround).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-22-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Is anyone recording midi piano without crashes in pro tools?

For years, I have needed to restart my sessions a dozen times due to PT midi breaking down.

I'll upgrade if Avid has fixed.

I'm using PT 2022.6.0 on Mac Monterey

Support told me they are constantly inundated with complaints about midi.
Hoping Avid has plans to finally deal with this
Yes using UVI Falcon Model D German Grand with no crashes
Now in full disclosure I only use midi and VI's maybe 15 or 20 percent of time the rest is all audio usually at most I have a some strings and or keyboards piano/organ occasionally some drums and occasionally a synth sounds

I am by no stretch a midi expert just mediocre at it BUT there in lies the rub as they say, because I have been using midi in Pro Tools since just before they implemented Instrument tracks . And have had very little problems with midi.. I have had a couple sessions where for some reason one or more VI instrument tracks stop out putting the final audio but Usually just closing the session and relaunching fixes that

So in answer yes my go to for 3rd party Piano Is UVI Falcon Model D grand

Last spring I decided to play around with all Midi production and include the Avid Synth Cell.

This is a cover of Chariots Of Fire theme https://youtu.be/vjIbzN4CfMA?feature=shared

In it the strobing left to right sound is the Avid Vacuum Pro synth
The organ-ish sound - synth Synth Cell
The Piano is UVI Falcon Model D
The choir is UVI Falcon
The strings are UVI Falcon

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 11-25-2023 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I bet thousands of people are recording MIDI piano without problems in Pro Tools. But what does that matter if *you* have a problem?

Nobody likely has any clue what MIDI issue you are talking about.

What is the Pro Tools bug number? Support case number? (yours or anybody else's)

The only info you have given is "Pro Tools crashes" and "PT midi breaking down" Crashes how? Silent app crash? What does the stack trace look like? Or you mean crash with an AAE error? What AAE number error? As for "breaking down" not a clue what you mean there.

You are likely just wasting time posting stuff like this thread unless you can be a little precise. And if if it's not yet an official bug is it stuck in a support case and needs to be unstuck? Do support have a good way to reproduce the issue? etc. If it's a bug what is support saying for the bug's status inside Avid engineering etc. And if you can't work the process out with Avid at least describe *exactly* what is happening.

---

Now it happens I do have a case (04705800) open with support for Pro Tools crashes/process abort() (so the app just dissapears from the screen) and related much less frequent hangs that *is* being looked at. This is triggered by the MiniGrand UI, memory allocation/deallocation while handling images in the UI. This happens on macOS Sonoma. Unclear if it also happens on other macOS releases or if its only limited to MiniGrand or possibly other plugins. I would not assume this is related to any other issue unless they share behavior, and similar stack traces. And if I don't push on abusing the UI that triggers these crashes I don't have issues... except very occasionally I'll run into the VI losing input bug (e.g. https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=423928 and many other threads... lacking from a bug number as well but at least many folks are clear what they are talking about and there is a simple workaround).

Hi Darryl,

The midi issues I am talking about have been occurring in my systems for the past 5 years. When I emailed with support, they said this an issue they are frequently contacted about.

The issue is this:

When recording on a virtual instrument track, often using N.I. Kontakt 5,6 or 7, the sustain functionality and the velocity functions stop working.

Recording is fine. But 3-5 minutes into editing velocities or sustains causes those functions to stop working.

If I'm editing synths, I don't often have this problem. But this is a huge issue for editing piano parts. It means what should take 15 minutes in a DAW, takes around 45 minutes if using Pro Tools.

I am going to try using mini grand soon (once I find it in my account, which in Avid's account section, is like looking for a needle in a haystack) to do everything before adding a virtual piano that I prefer at the end. But this is far from ideal.
I record a lot of virtual piano songs and release often. Currently, using Pro Tools is like a snail compared to Logic or Abelton. I prefer to use PT if I can, but these kinds of faults make it too hard.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:53 PM
Avid

Quote:
Hi Darryl,

The midi issues I am talking about have been occurring in my systems for the past 5 years. When I emailed with support, they said this an issue they are frequently contacted about.

The issue is this:

When recording on a virtual instrument track, often using N.I. Kontakt 5,6 or 7, the sustain functionality and the velocity functions stop working.

Recording is fine. But 3-5 minutes into editing velocities or sustains causes those functions to stop working.

If I'm editing synths, I don't often have this problem. But this is a huge issue for editing piano parts. It means what should take 15 minutes in a DAW, takes around 45 minutes if using Pro Tools.

I am going to try using mini grand soon (once I find it in my account, which in Avid's account section, is like looking for a needle in a haystack) to do everything before adding a virtual piano that I prefer at the end. But this is far from ideal.
I record a lot of virtual piano songs and release often. Currently, using Pro Tools is like a snail compared to Logic or Abelton. I prefer to use PT if I can, but these kinds of faults make it too hard.
Hi there - Marianna again.

I did look and I see a few cases you reported with Midi issues and none were closed out with a resolution. 2023.9 does have some fixes but doubtful that the one you are referencing here is.

Are you able to upgrade to 2023.9 from the 2023.6 PT 2022.6.0 on Mac Monterey
you have going now?

I am going to comb thru to see where they are at with the Midi issues but would like to know before I create a case and run with it.

Standing by
Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 12-05-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Hi Darryl,

The issue is this:

The sustain and velocity not working is a very specific problem, and sorry I just don't know if other folks are running into that specific issue, others here will, and with Marianna's hopefully you can get more help from support to try to track down what is going on.

So to be clear you mean that the GUI is broken and after a while you can't click on and move velocity and sustain thingies? It might help if you had a video screencap showing that failing, if nothing else that can help get attention.

[snip - deleted irrelevant stuff about MIDI recording problems]

---

I just really really want to encourage folks to be careful discussing "MIDI problems" or "VI problems" we clearly have multiple issues going on and there is one particularly annoying repetitive problem with VIs where the MIDI input becomes disconnected. And why that's not known/discussed by bug number by now is beyond me. And with that one on one hand once you understand what is going on you can work around it, but the biggest issue there to me is so many folks will get slammed by this and have no clue what is going on and for them they might as well give up and swap DAWs. This problem is so wide spread that when you say "MIDI or VI problem" many folks here will assume you are talking about that problem, and yours sustain/velocity on is likely unrelated.

And just for kicks, on Sonoma with 2023.9 (which yes is not yet officially supported) I found a case where if you play aroung in the UI enough in Mini Grand it will hang or crash Pro Tools. I am not sure if that problem is really only Sonoma related or if it just tends to happen a lot more there. I'm on Intel and folks on Apple Silicon have not been able to reproduce that yet AFAIK, so maybe it's an Intel only thing. If you do see hangs or crashes with MiniGrand on any versions I'd love to know (and see a stack trace... that will show a clear pattern).