Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2023, 12:08 PM

Default Control App controls not smooth at all

OK, now to complain about something. The controls from the Control App I have on my dock are very glitchy. This might be a problem with the problematic recent update to Eucon 2023.6. I don't remember it being so bad. Especially with the panner but also with the faders. If I pan using the S1, the panning is smooth, as it should be, but the display on the Control app is jerky. If I used the panner on the control app, the panning is jerky, audibly so. This is bad. One of the reasons I got a Dock is to be able to have "joystick" like control for surround panning. It's not working well at all now. I have the iPad 11Pro connected with ethernet so control should be fast, but it isn't. It would be great to have this looked into. Anyone else?

Mac Mini M2Pro 12core, 32GB, Ventura 13,5, PT Ultimate 2023.6, Avid HDX Thunderbolt 3 chassis
Old 08-18-2023, 09:07 AM
Avid

Default Re: Control App controls not smooth at all

Did you add the plist/registry fix?
Old 08-18-2023, 05:36 PM

No, but would that have anything to do with how the Control app talks to Pro Tools? It's not just the GUI. The sound is actually jumpy when trying to control it from the iPad. Control from the S1 is smooth. I'll give it a shot though. I'll let you know.
Old 08-19-2023, 01:00 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmixer View Post
No, but would that have anything to do with how the Control app talks to Pro Tools? It's not just the GUI. The sound is actually jumpy when trying to control it from the iPad. Control from the S1 is smooth. I'll give it a shot though. I'll let you know.
This is one of the things this plist entry fixes.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:56 AM

So, I tried to add that line of code but when I try to open the :/Library/Application Support/Avid/EUCON/com.avid.eucon.plist, but it's asking for an application to open it. It's not clear in the "*******Temp fix for EUCON 23.6 slowdown********" post what the entire procedure requires. My personal system isn't mission critical so I'll wait for a fix, which seems like it should have been here by now. It's been almost a month.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:08 AM
Avid

Quote:
So, I tried to add that line of code but when I try to open the :/Library/Application Support/Avid/EUCON/com.avid.eucon.plist, but it's asking for an application to open it. It's not clear in the "*******Temp fix for EUCON 23.6 slowdown********" post what the entire procedure requires. My personal system isn't mission critical so I'll wait for a fix, which seems like it should have been here by now. It's been almost a month.
Any text editor.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:50 AM

OK. I used TextEdit and added the line in the last position. You don't really say where the line should go. Restarted EuControl and Pro Tools. Seems even jerkier now. Not the fix I was looking for.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:56 AM
Avid

Quote:
OK. I used TextEdit and added the line in the last position. You don't really say where the line should go. Restarted EuControl and Pro Tools. Seems even jerkier now. Not the fix I was looking for.
It can't have done it. Everyone that has done this sucsesfully it has helped. If you send the logs again I can check it is in or not.
Old 08-21-2023, 01:05 PM

Thanks Eddie for all the work here. An easier way for users to apply these changes may be to use PlistBuddy. Everybody needs a buddy.

In Terminal.app copy and paste the following (after the "$ ") into the Terminal and hit return

$ /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c 'Add :EuControl/RuntimeFlags/EuNodeMC2/EnableMeterVisHack string 0' /Library/Application\ Support/Avid/EUCON/com.avid.eucon.plist

The $ here is the command prompt, you don't type or copy and paste that, the prompt will likely be different on your Mac. Note the capital A in Add.

(The damn crappy ****ty ******** badly managed web app filter that Avid runs in front of DUC causes permission denied errors otherwise I'd have give a few more command examples).

If you already edited the plist file and maybe messed it up you should be able to just delete that and reboot the computer and let it create the default and then try the above command. Even better make backups of the plist file before doing anything... (I can't give that shell commands here because of DUCs brain dead security theater).

You can also use PlistBuddy to print the contents of the plist file. Note the capital P in Print.

$ /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c 'Print' /Library/Application\ Support/Avid/EUCON/com.avid.eucon.plist

And you should see output that includes stuff like...

Dict {
EuControl/RuntimeFlags/EuNodeMC2/EnableMeterVisHack = 0
Discovery/ExternalWorkstationsEnabled = 0
}

You may well have additional lines, but make sure the line "EuControl/RuntimeFlags/EuNodeMC2/EnableMeterVisHack = 0" is there as shown and occurs within the main Dict (Dictionary) entry. PlistBuddy checks for malformed XML or invalid characters etc. in the file.

Again if things don't look right you should be able to move the plist file to a backup name (so there is no com.avid.eucon.plist file in that folder) and then reboot your computer. That should recreate the default plist file and you can then apply the PlistBuddy -c ' Add ...' command to add the additional line for this problem fix.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-22-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
It can't have done it. Everyone that has done this sucsesfully it has helped. If you send the logs again I can check it is in or not.
So how do I do it successfully? I gave a rundown of the exact procedure I did. Can you give me a step by step then? I defiantly added the line of code and saved the new file.