Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 02:42 AM

Default New Studio Website with pics

Hi all,
Thought you might be interested in seeing my self-built, Digi002 based studio website. I'm fairly pleased with it all so far. I bought a Carillon PC based system. (Was dreadful until V6 of Protools came along) All's running very nicely just now. I've not applied any of the 'CS' updates. (If it ain't broke . . . !) Any comments would be most welcome.

Visit: http://www.studiograff.co.uk

TIA - Deemac (Duncan)
Old 10-22-2004, 03:41 AM

Default Re: New Studio Website with pics

web site needs a little help - "click here to get plugin" some of us just like that browser should be enough. i don't want to install this-and-that plugin, so i just ignore all the sites that aren't pure html...
Old 10-22-2004, 05:10 AM

Wow,
Not come across this idea before! I take it you never use any plugin's with your Protools sessions either!!? Flash is a fairly universal format - Must be a Mac user thing! - Your loss I suppose.

Deemac
Old 10-22-2004, 05:20 AM

flash is a "kiosk" service format. html is the web page standard. when i think of a web browser, i understand it to be very fast in rendering html and nothing more. a good web site provides all relevant information even if it was visited by a text-only browser, lynx for example.

well, it might be my loss, but you never know when some of your possible customers think the same way i do. then it becomes your loss.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:30 AM

Nice site, nice ste up to.

I didn't get asked to install anything when I visited it, it just showed up like any other site. Viewing on an iBook using Safari as my browser.
Good Luck
Peace and Good Mixes to all.

NoteFarm
Old 10-22-2004, 07:37 AM

Quote:
flash is a "kiosk" service format. html is the web page standard. when i think of a web browser, i understand it to be very fast in rendering html and nothing more. a good web site provides all relevant information even if it was visited by a text-only browser, lynx for example.

well, it might be my loss, but you never know when some of your possible customers think the same way i do. then it becomes your loss.
Don't get me wrong, I do take your point, but as a professional graphic designer I took the view of not 'dumbing' down the content resolution or photos too much. Flash allows this, there's no text/font problems, objects can be placed anywhere and the viewed screen sizing is dynamic. All the .html/dreamweaver type site's you visit are far too cluttered and frame based in design. Anyway I look at it as a 'punter' filter. Either take it as it is or as you suggest they can take their business elsewhere. I still say its their/your loss.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:14 AM

nice site. nice studio as well.

I would maybe consider reducing the size of the flash plug though, I'm viewing your site on a 23" HD Apple display, and it's just a little bit large. As a graphic designer as well, I slightly agree with JFreak...I frequently use flash, but always make an option for people who are running older comps and old browsers. My personal music site is all HTML (dynamic HTML) with just a couple flash plugs to increase likely viewers- I choose not to embed important information in flash unless it's a site aimed towards a specific audience that would probably have flash.

NIce though! Must of cost you a good bit to build out that space.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:30 AM

I thought it was nice as well. Both the site and the studio. I was disappointed that the "Graphics" portion is still under construction. I was looking forward to seeing some of your other work. I liked your logo too.

Just like most of you, I do web design as well. We cannot use Flash for most of the stuff we do because of certain restrictions that some of our users have (long story, don't ask!).

FYI, here at work I am on an iMac running 9.2.2 and Internet Explorer 5.1, and I had no problems at all. It was a little slow to load, but not bad.

Looks like it was designed on a Mac and that's the biggest compliment I can give!!
Good job!

Geoff
Old 10-22-2004, 03:33 PM

I'm so ready to ditch everything and move to Scotland...Maybe I'll pack up all my outboard, my mics and my dog and show up one day....

...ok, daydream's over. I gotta work now.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I thought it was nice as well. Both the site and the studio. I was disappointed that the "Graphics" portion is still under construction. I was looking forward to seeing some of your other work. I liked your logo too.

Just like most of you, I do web design as well. We cannot use Flash for most of the stuff we do because of certain restrictions that some of our users have (long story, don't ask!).

FYI, here at work I am on an iMac running 9.2.2 and Internet Explorer 5.1, and I had no problems at all. It was a little slow to load, but not bad.

Looks like it was designed on a Mac and that's the biggest compliment I can give!!
Good job!

Geoff
Geoff,
Thanks for the comments. Some graphics tech notes: Pics tweeked in Photoshop (the control room is a 5 shot photo-merge!), Page layout designed in Coreldraw V12, exported layer by layer into Flash MX 2004 where buttons are built and page links programmed. All done on a PC. I have to admit Flash is my only known website language. Can't understand any .htlm programming. I just want to design not programme 'geek/maths' stuff. The graphics section will appear in the next week or so. 3D modelling/video is my main interest these days (appart from the studio that is). Anyway did anyone listen to the MP3's? My first CD will be produced very soon.

Deemac