Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2016, 03:45 PM

Default Re: How to work on 5.1 surrounding using on two stereo speakers on pro tools 10 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryaraj750 View Post
Oh man thanks for the IDEA ,But I also need to know how to pan 5.1 using two speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Far from ideal, but it is possible. Just set up each of your tracks with a surround output bus, create a surround aux track and set the input to the surround bus. The surround bus will be the source for the surround final mix in the bounce window. On the aux track, insert the Downmix plugin so you can hear all the tracks combined in stereo, and set the output to your stereo mix out that you can monitor.

Often when live recording and stereo and surround mixes are needed, engineers will create a basic surround mix - usually with main instruments and vocals up front and ambiance/crowd in the rear - then mix the show off a stereo downmix. Still, you really need surround monitors to at least set the initial surround levels.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 07-28-2016, 05:49 PM

Default Re: How to work on 5.1 surrounding using on two stereo speakers on pro tools 10 HD

And this isn't a joke, You CAN use a simple TV/DVD/Gaming surround system with 5:1 and sub as monitoring system. If money is tight I bet you can find one surround system on craigslist etc for less than 50 dollars possbly even less than $35

Those surround systems can really help you hear the 5.1 channels and even though those systems are NOT what I would use in the studio I have used them when we had to hear what was done to the mix and the studio we were working with didn't have 5.1 so thats my advice as a starting point

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And this isn't a joke, You CAN use a simple TV/DVD/Gaming surround system with 5:1 and sub as monitoring system. If money is tight I bet you can find one surround system on craigslist etc for less than 50 dollars possbly even less than $35

Those surround systems can really help you hear the 5.1 channels and even though those systems are NOT what I would use in the studio I have used them when we had to hear what was done to the mix and the studio we were working with didn't have 5.1 so thats my advice as a starting point

Thank U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2016, 10:01 PM

This is the equivilant of trying to mix stereo on a single mono speaker.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10