How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2003, 02:00 AM

Default Recording midi notes - Korg Triton & PT

Okay here's my problem:

I cannot record midi tracks [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] from my triton studio in PT. I tried everything the manual instructs and even contacted DigiDesign.

Here's my set up:
Pentium 4 2.4 processor
Windows XP
1 GB of SDRAM
40 GB HD for OS and PT
80 GD HD for audio
Triton Studio (w/midi I/O into the midi I/O on the digi 001.

Here's my process for recording audio/midi tracks:
1.) Create a audio/aux track - This works fine!
2.) Create a midi track with Midi In channel set to ALL and midi out set to Channel 1 in PT.
3.) Check the midi thru option
4.) Korg triton setting - global - midi - local control either on or off (The midi track doesn't show or record in PT either way)
5.) Adjust the midi track volume level to make sure it's not set to 0 dB.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Any - and I mean ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks!
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2003, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Recording midi notes - Korg Triton & PT

in pro tools,
midi menu, select input devices and check your triton keyboard. you need to put your midi track in record mode in pro tools. it is really easy.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:23 AM

This the second thread you've started with the same problem.

With midi in/out connected properly, with a midi track set up the way you do, with the midi track in record arm and the transport in record, with midi thru ticked and midi beat clock enabled in the PTLE midi menu, and with the keyboard set to local off and in sequence mode; you should be able to record a midi track.

In another recent thread, a user had the output of the aux fader set incorrectly and it wasn't until a complete system set-up was given that the problem was identified.

There must be something you're not doing, or not set up quite right. If you could provide more details of your PTLE and keyboard set-up, I'm sure the problem would easily come to light.

BTW: There is no select input device in the midi menu of PTLE for PC (I think that is/was Mac.)

Are you trying to record midi from within PTLE or are you wanting to record with the Triton's sequencer?
Old 04-19-2003, 04:22 PM

I'm trying to record midi and audio from my triton studio using PT as the master and main sequencer.

Here's my complete WINDOWS XP based set up :

- Korg Triton Studio main R/L XLR outs into the digi 001 3,4 XLR monitor inputs.

- Digi 001 monitor outs to Yamaha MSP 10 monitors

- Korg Triton Studio midi I/O into the digi 001 midi I/O

Once PT is loaded and ready, I:
1.) Create a stereo audio track - with Inputs set to 3,4 and output set to 1,2
2.) Then I create a midi track with Midi In channel set to ALL and midi out set to Channel 1 in PT.
3.) I then check the midi thru option in PT
4.) Finally, I set the Korg triton Studio settings - global mode - midi - local control either on or off (The midi track doesn't show or record in PT either way)
5.) Adjust the midi track volume level to make sure it's not set to 0 dB.

On midi track 1 in PT, the none option (midi patch from 1-128) I'm able to change my triton studio's track 1 sound in sequence/combination or program mode FROM PT and the same applies if I create a midi track 2.

I cant seem to get the midi track's volume to move or record any midi information. I even set the midi input filter to ALL and enabled the midi beat clock.

With the triton set to midi External mode and with the local control on, I able to record an audio track in PT. I load my saved song from the triton, put the triton in sequence mode, and I hit record on PT transport. Both sequencers are in sync (tempo) when I set the tempo in PT to the same tempo of the song within the triton's sequencer! I have full control of the triton with this process.

The only thing missing is the midi track. I cannot record or see any midi notes. I even bought new midi cables.

Any suggestions! Still [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] !
Old 04-19-2003, 06:15 PM

By the way...here's something I left out -

I have the wave driver properly installed. The ASIO driver is not installed... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2003, 10:09 PM

If you want to record audio and midi at the same time, I would recommend getting midi to record first and then recording your midi to audio.

I don't know what to say, man.

I reconfigured my system to pretty much match yours with local control off, and mine works. Other than the obvious like making sure you have midi in to midi out, and both the midi track record armed and the transport in record to record; your system should work too.

I really would have liked to be more help.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:59 AM

Thanks for the help everyone!

I figured out something...

I saved a single track midi song on my triton and used the import midi track function in PT. The midi notes were visible and playable in PT once imported. I was able to change the notes and program in PT in conjunction with my triton (which program bank also changed)

I then got a bright idea! - Try to record the midi track via stereo audio track and while recording change the program on the midi track to see if the sounds were actually coming from my triton or (digi 001) sound card. Upon playback of the recorded audio track, the sounds were directly from the triton and they changed with each adjustment during recording.

I then tried the above process of recording midi(standard process listed in above thread message) . It still doesn't work! Does anyone think it may be my triton or the setting in my PC. Under control panel/sound and devices in Windows XP - the digi 001 is defaulted as the midi device.

I still cant figure this out [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

As for digidesign's tech support - PLEASE HELP ME!
Old 04-20-2003, 06:06 AM

I also switch my midi out on my triton to midi thru and the above works [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] . Hmmmm! I'm definitely a midi newbie....