Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2016, 02:43 PM

Default Elastic Audio weirdness

Anybody experience anything strange with elastic audio by chance?

I was working on one stereo audio file - polyphonic mode - and I was getting strange behavior where when the audio would playback, I would hear really strange artifacts at times, but when I stop playback and put it closer to where the artifacts happen, they no longer exist.

Any theories? I was having strange experiences in monophonic as well where it would change the pitch of things some how (it was in fact monophonic, not varispeed).
Old 03-10-2016, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio weirdness

For me, I got too many artifacts in both poly and mono, so now everything I do(almost anyway) is rhythmic(for drums/percussion) or X-Form for everything else(but I will use poly if I am doing a simple pitch change).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-10-2016, 04:55 PM

Seems like someone else was having a similar issue, and got it solved today. Check here for info: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=362404
Old 03-11-2016, 07:32 AM

Non-rendered Elastic audio is by nature not deterministic - playback can and will vary each time you hit play. That's why it's a good idea to always render your EA tracks when you've got them edited the way you want. I'd recommend a couple things; pay close attention to your analysis view before you start editing (use the elastic properties pane to set event sensitivity) - make sure that you have the minimum number of markers necessary for what you need - IME, a track with too many analysis markers will often be glitchier after editing. I tend to edit in fast-and-dirty polyphonic mode for harmonic material, and then switch it to X-Form and finally render it to a non-EA track when I'm done.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-11-2016, 09:49 AM

I've been using Melodyne within PT to quantize polyphonic audio since 95% of the time it's remarkably better than Elastic Audio. It is a little more time consuming though, which is why I wish Avid would update their algorithms.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 AM

Guys, let's stick to the real issue here...

I have been experiencing the SAME EXACT issue as the OP, and it is definitely A BUG that appeared in 12.0.

Since Pro Tools 12, I frequently get strange artefacts on playback when Elastic Audio is in "live" mode. These artefacts are random, have nothing to do with what or how much is being processed, and they go away completely once you "commit" EA to the track.

I would love to hear Avid comment on this, but it seems anything to do with Elastic Audio is completely ignored...
Old 03-11-2016, 11:27 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses! I do agree with AlexLakis though. This is something that presented itself in version 12. Of course there can be artifacts that happen when using elastic audio, however, these artifacts will occur at random; playback presents an artifact, stop playback and rearrange cursor closer to artifact, artifact no longer exists. It's really strange. The monophonic algorithm also changes the pitch. Super strange.