Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2011, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Disappointed with PT 9

well, not bein' sufficient vs not workin' with non-Avid devices are 2 different things...which is what you stated we all have our Avid gripes but let's be clear that delay comp DOES work, for all ASIO driven devices, under PT9...yep 4096 sample limit and all. PT9 ain't perfect but like was said early, it did open up some main/needed/bitched about features for its users.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
.... PT HD is the standard for transferring sessions between studios because many engineers prefer it for audio, thus you'll find it in most high end studios. It is not the standard for music creation.
+1 - you hit it right on the head.

PT will always at the very least be in charge of editing/mastering an all-audio mixdown in my studio.
But the project can be produced using almost anything beforehand.

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
If it was your company, it would suddenly be 64 bit? Sure.
I think 64bit Pro Tools 9 would prove HD not as needed so they have not been putting as much effort into it. Hopefully they will do us 1 better. I have a feeling 10 will be 64bit honestly. What else would be a good enough incentive to upgrade again? My friend whom is an engineer just built himself a pc with 16 gigs of ram and I had to remind him that PT won't utilize but 4gigs. I think HD will faze out within 3 to 5 years computers are getting to powerful for it to stay relevant.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrebelion View Post
I think 64bit Pro Tools 9 would prove HD not as needed so they have not been putting as much effort into it. Hopefully they will do us 1 better. I have a feeling 10 will be 64bit honestly. What else would be a good enough incentive to upgrade again? My friend whom is an engineer just built himself a pc with 16 gigs of ram and I had to remind him that PT won't utilize but 4gigs. I think HD will faze out within 3 to 5 years computers are getting to powerful for it to stay relevant.
The only people that 64bit will help is those who need more memory. This is not the majority of people working with audio, so for those people 64bit is not necessary. For those who do VE Pro will likely be just the ticket, and when the promised update arrives that will host VST effects as well as instruments), there will be even less incentive for people to need a 64bit Pro Tools. In fact you will find that once it is 64bit people will be complaining about how long it takes to change sessions and may well go back to VE Pro anyway.

However your other point about more and more powerful computers over the next few years is a fair one. The big enemy to this thought is the operating systems that are getting more bloated each revision. The one thing that HD does very well is low latency, and a bloated OS is the enemy of that.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG View Post
The only people that 64bit will help is those who need more memory. This is not the majority of people working with audio, so for those people 64bit is not necessary. For those who do VE Pro will likely be just the ticket, and when the promised update arrives that will host VST effects as well as instruments), there will be even less incentive for people to need a 64bit Pro Tools. In fact you will find that once it is 64bit people will be complaining about how long it takes to change sessions and may well go back to VE Pro anyway.
djrebelion is just being rebelious, so I don't think anything can be said to change his mind.

However, we can't miss the point of PT needing to be 64 bit, period. Don't rely on VE Pro because everyone does not want or need it. Not everyone needing 64 bit, or better RTAS performance, is a movie composer. Some people simply need 5-7 G of RAM with modest sessions. PT should be able to deliver that, alone.

I remember when MIDI in PT was a joke... that is not the case anymore. As I've said before, the PT8 MIDI overhaul along with the Phil Jackson videos opened the flood gates for 64 bit OS users with 6+ G RAM wanting to use PT. This issue will continue to grow regardless of VE Pro or Reaper ReWire.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
djrebelion is just being rebelious, so I don't think anything can be said to change his mind.

However, we can't miss the point of PT needing to be 64 bit, period. Don't rely on VE Pro because everyone does not want or need it. Not everyone needing 64 bit, or better RTAS performance, is a movie composer. Some people simply need 5-7 G of RAM with modest sessions. PT should be able to deliver that, alone.

I remember when MIDI in PT was a joke... that is not the case anymore. As I've said before, the PT8 MIDI overhaul along with the Phil Jackson videos opened the flood gates for 64 bit OS users with 6+ G RAM wanting to use PT. This issue will continue to grow regardless of VE Pro or Reaper ReWire.
Yeah you are right I'm rebellious. That has nothing to do with me being right. Look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs SSD AWESOMENESS. Or the new Intel feature that allows you to use a 32GB SSD just for cache and you can use your 7200RPM hard drive. I do believe HD is dope though don't get me wrong but it's overpriced. As soon as Solid State becomes the norm... 32GB of ram.... 12-24 Core processors. I mean that not rebellious these are facts. Hopefully these software companies can keep up.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah you are right I'm rebellious. That has nothing to do with me being right. Look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs SSD AWESOMENESS. Or the new Intel feature that allows you to use a 32GB SSD just for cache and you can use your 7200RPM hard drive. I do believe HD is dope though don't get me wrong but it's overpriced. As soon as Solid State becomes the norm... 32GB of ram.... 12-24 Core processors. I mean that not rebellious these are facts. Hopefully these software companies can keep up.
"Fact links" seem to be becoming the norm around here. For the last ten years I've seen PT HD in every major studio I've worked in. Also, I've yet to work in a studio that did not use PT HD from start to finish on the tv/radio ad's I've been fortunate enough to produce music for. Overpriced or not, HD fulfills the needs of many. That is also a fact.

I'm just saying don't say "bad for Avid" because you don't want HD or think it is too high.

BTW, there were 24 SSD's used in that video. That plus a 24 Core Mac Pro will be the price (or more) of HD Native. So what is the price fuss about?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
"Fact links" seem to be becoming the norm around here. For the last ten years I've seen PT HD in every major studio I've worked in. Also, I've yet to work in a studio that did not use PT HD from start to finish on the tv/radio ad's I've been fortunate enough to produce music for. Overpriced or not, HD fulfills the needs of many. That is also a fact.

I'm just saying don't say "bad for Avid" because you don't want HD or think it is too high.

BTW, there were 24 SSD's used in that video. That plus a 24 Core Mac Pro will be the price (or more) of HD Native. So what is the price fuss about?
I know in the audio world when it comes down to what works. That's what you use. What I'm saying is the price on SSD is coming down slowly but surely. The price of ram is coming down slowly but surely. As is the price of effective processing power. HD Native is so overpriced! It cost the same amount of money as a Mac Pro lmao. My RME Multiface came with a breakout box for 1200. I think the wiser thing would be to build a computer with a couple SSDs and 32gb of ram dual processors and run PT9 and hope they have a 64bit update sooner than later. Oh yeah and we are forgetting about UAD2 Omni that comes with every plugin for $4500 lmao Avid is smart they sabotage there own software to get you to upgrade to HD or by there Hardware ha 4096 will be a number that goes down in history for me. I'm just pointing out my opinions by the way not a derogatory remark to anyone in this forum.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I know in the audio world when it comes down to what works. That's what you use. What I'm saying is the price on SSD is coming down slowly but surely. The price of ram is coming down slowly but surely. As is the price of effective processing power. HD Native is so overpriced! It cost the same amount of money as a Mac Pro lmao. My RME Multiface came with a breakout box for 1200. I think the wiser thing would be to build a computer with a couple SSDs and 32gb of ram dual processors and run PT9 and hope they have a 64bit update sooner than later. Oh yeah and we are forgetting about UAD2 Omni that comes with every plugin for $4500 lmao Avid is smart they sabotage there own software to get you to upgrade to HD or by there Hardware ha 4096 will be a number that goes down in history for me. I'm just pointing out my opinions by the way not a derogatory remark to anyone in this forum.
Djreb, people have been talking like this since the first quad core systems. Yet HD continues to sale. What the price haters fail to realize is that any studio with HD has a clientele that causes them to need and afford it. HD is not about the price for the studios that need it. It is a solid reliable system that works. The only people I know harping on its price are the ones who don't need it.

Yes there are other options out there and people buy them. But HD is what it is and has always been for studios. Million dollar studios, and small or home studios that are doing well are not harping on the prices of HD and HD Native. This has to be put into perspective to those without HD, or who don't even need it, harping on the price.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 AM

Disappointing and frustrating. It took forever to set up, and you get no support unless you pay for it. I needed to learn Pro Tools to be able to swap files with other people, but Apple and LogicPro are looking better and better as a future purchase.... especially after reading your post!