Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack and other DAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar333 View Post
I made a little tool to use the eleven rack with cubase as a midi device.
I could only test it with my DAW (Cubase 5 - 64bit, Win7) but it should work on other Cubase Systems, too.
It would be nice to get any feedback on it.

https://sites.google.com/site/elevenrackmididevice/
This is great ! Thank you veru much Gunnar !

And by the way, there is no doubling problem with cubase if your settings in Cubase and in your configuration panel (assuming you are in Windows) are done properly.
I had this issue... (and posted on it)
Old 01-20-2011, 06:10 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyoli View Post
This is great ! Thank you veru much Gunnar !

And by the way, there is no doubling problem with cubase if your settings in Cubase and in your configuration panel (assuming you are in Windows) are done properly.
I had this issue... (and posted on it)
I actually don't use Cubase, and i'm on a Mac, but I would still like to check out what you did. Would it be possible for you to link the thread?
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 01-20-2011, 11:22 AM

link the thread? where?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
It is possible, but it's a little sketchy and of course you don't have any of the embed features. Also, with other DAW's, Ableton and Logic specifically, i can't get the 11R out of "standalone" mode. So as i play through it, i hear double of what i am playing. Playback is all good though.

But to get the wet signal into Ableton, you need to go to "preferences" and select the Eleven Rack as your input device. Then go to "Input Config" and enable the inputs 1~8. Afterwards, in the track, select 3/4 (if stereo), or 3 or 4 (if mono) and that should give you the wet signal.

Hope this helps!
In Logic you can mute the track you are recording to stop the double sound. I run Protools in the background of Logic for the Eleven Rack editor window. Switching between both apps is easy with command+Tab (on a Mac).
Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM

Here : http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=283838

Of course you have to select "digidesign eleven rack ASIO" in the device setup / vst audiobay (I'm working with cubase sx3, I suppose it's the same with newer versions)

With Cubase, you can have all the inputs (8)/outputs (6) as with PT . I've read it's the same wame with Logic. There should be no problem.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyoli View Post
Here : http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=283838

Of course you have to select "digidesign eleven rack ASIO" in the device setup / vst audiobay (I'm working with cubase sx3, I suppose it's the same with newer versions)

With Cubase, you can have all the inputs (8)/outputs (6) as with PT . I've read it's the same wame with Logic. There should be no problem.
Ah ok, so you selected IN Cubase. Sorry i misunderstood, I thought you configured it in the ASIO driver outside of the DAW, and was going to see if i could do it with CoreAudio.

As for muting the track in the DAW, and letting the 11R play in standalone, I found that this gives me a guitar track independant of the mix which makes me uncomfortable while tracking. I also end up editing the level in the patch, which effects the strength of the signal in the DAW. What I would like is to do keep the level constant, and mess with the volume in the DAW as I track. Also, switching between PT and other DAWs at the same time, while not really using PT, seems like a waste of resources.

I found that the best and most hassle free solution is to just go into another interface, since the 11R thinks it's in standalone anyway.

I'm going to explore again some options with other DAWs and the 11R, but i'm actually in the process of moving right now, so i won't be able to really go in deep for a couple of weeks.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
well i'm not Mickey, but I would love to know your method of running the 11R with Live 8.
Hi, nothing special. Just set Options / Preferences / Audio / Audio Device to "Digidesign Eleven Rack Asio" then I use tracks 1&2 for reamping and 3&4 for direct recording. I always have monitoring set to "off" too (listen to the guitar straight from the Eleven)

There's probably better ways of doing it but I find that works great for me. I'm intending to get into pro tools at some point but for now I find Ableton really nice and simple but it does almost everything I want. I don't even reamp usually, just print the track straight off modeller, effects and all - I prefer not to defer those decisions...It's not as flexible but it is quick and I find that 1) If I don't get a track down quickly another idea will surface, I'll get distracted and I'll never get the first one finished and 2) Leaving too many options open leads to "option anxiety" later

Quote:
That and the whole doubling guitar problem.

which I'm not aware of an actual fix for. My work around is to use the 11R as a standalone, into another interface via 3 cable method.
What's the "guitar doubling problem"?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimification View Post

What's the "guitar doubling problem"?
Oh it's just when you have the software playing the guitar, and the software monitoring is on at the same time and latency is introduced. I CAN turn the software monitoring off, but it's just a pain to get the levels to a comfortable point for me, especially when switching patches, which kills my creativity. I like to hear everything going on around me, and then my guitar. I actually have a lot of trust in the 11R that it'll sound good, so I concentrate and whats happening with the other instruments when i play guitar.

In PT it's no problem. boom, boom, track done, on to the next. But when i'm writing in Ableton, I take a much more non-linear approach. Often launching clips on the fly while i'm playing to see how they work out.

With that said, using the three cable method with two interfaces essentially fixes this for me. But I would really love to be abe to use just one interface. Especially if I ever go out live with Ableton and 11R.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 02-26-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar333 View Post
I made a little tool to use the eleven rack with cubase as a midi device.
I could only test it with my DAW (Cubase 5 - 64bit, Win7) but it should work on other Cubase Systems, too.
It would be nice to get any feedback on it.

https://sites.google.com/site/elevenrackmididevice/
I've tried in on Cubase 6 and I'm not seeing it pop up as a midi instrument :) But I love it the idea and will gladly donate once it works on 6, or more likely once I figure out whats different than expected on 6..

Excellent stuff, Gunnar!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticmystic View Post
I've tried in on Cubase 6 and I'm not seeing it pop up as a midi instrument :) But I love it the idea and will gladly donate once it works on 6, or more likely once I figure out whats different than expected on 6..

Excellent stuff, Gunnar!
Specifically, I'm running cubase 6 on MacOSX 10.6.3 and I seem to be able to connect it, create a track for it (sort of - importing the XML file say missing - eleven rack)... I suspect this means that one needs a midi connection to the 11, which I don't have yet at the moment..