Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2001, 01:29 PM

Default AV Option / Cinema Display conflict?

Is anyone out there successfully using a system with both the AV Option boardset (not XL) and an Apple Cinema 22" display connected to the Mac's own ADC video connector?

Despite how I set the Monitors control panel, sometimes when I reboot, the AC Option/VGA-port magically becomes the startup screen, as if the system doesn't have time to check to see the existence of the Apple Cinema Display connected to the Mac's ADC connector.

Three strangenesses:
1. It behaves no differently if I have no display connected to the AVOption VGA connector.
2. Even if I throw away the monitors preferences and reassign the correct startup monitor in that control panel it sometimes doesn't stick on reboot.
3. The ONLY way so far to force the Mac to boot off the ADC Cinema Display is if I "zap the P Ram" on startup. My guess is that gives the Apple 22" Cinema Display enough time to startup and thus when the Mac polls the ADC port after zapping PRAM it successfully sees it.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I've tried all the difference PCI slot orders suggested by customer service and it seems to make no difference.

Thanks,
-Phil
Old 09-23-2001, 12:01 AM

Default Re: AV Option / Cinema Display conflict?

An update to my problem:

If I substitute a random Trinitron for the Apple 22" Cinema Display, the problem persists.

We've replaced the AV Option boardset, and the problem persists.

Remember, it doesn't seem to matter if there is any monitor connected to the VGA connector on the AV Option board... sometimes it just wants to make that connector the startup monitor!

Could this be a general incompatability with my CPU? I'm using a 733MHz G4 (the one that came with the Superdrive)...

Help!
Old 09-27-2001, 05:58 PM

Default Re: AV Option / Cinema Display conflict?

quote:
Originally posted by ekuehnl:
This is a known bug. On systems I build I tell the user they MUST have a monitor connected to the AV Option VGA output.

Is this known bug published or described anywhere? According to the rental company who is supported my system, Digidesign is playing dumb about it.