Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2010, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Protools 9 delay compensation limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Yes, although RTAS UAD will bring a few advantages it won't change the delay times!! thats caused by the external processing on the UAD cards.

Chris

Hmmmm... That's what I thought the purpose for using the cards was for.. doing away with latency..

Guess I really don't need one then as I'm doing alright with native plugs.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 12-24-2010, 07:07 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ADC accounts for 4096 samples of ADC Per track correct. That seems like a heck of a lot of offset to deal with. I have never needed that much delay compensation. Do the UAD cards really have that much latency. Personally that made me not want them anymore.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:07 AM

most UAD plugins work fine within the 4095-sample limit. specifically the precision multiband compressor needs about 4 times that much delay compensation, and if you read the documentation on it, universal audio suggests it be used only on the master bus as a result. of course, there IS another solution: slip the affected track ahead by the necessary number of samples. be smart and do it on a duplicate playlist, so you can go back if you decide not to use that plugin.

berating digidesign for problems with another company's products shows a lack of understanding of the operation of the software.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nob turner View Post
berating digidesign for problems with another company's products shows a lack of understanding of the operation of the software.
Just thought I'd bring this up in more emphasis.

And add

Go complain to the company that is actually bringing the problem into your daw.
Then add

Complain to yourself about using the gear that is bringing you hassle when you could figure out work around the problems with the daw you are using.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:21 PM

I like some of waves noise reduction plug ins (eg z noise). unfortunately the current PT delay compensation isnt enough for these plugs.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:57 AM

4096 isn't close to enough to account for linear phase plugins. One linear phase EQ can run 20k samples, and that has nothing to do with poor programming.

The limit needs to be revised, at least for native only systems. I can understand there might be an issue maintaining TDM compatibility with unlimited/variable delay compensation (or maybe not - it's the only reason for the current limit I can think of).
Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dterry View Post
4096 isn't close to enough to account for linear phase plugins. One linear phase EQ can run 20k samples, and that has nothing to do with poor programming...
Have you ever actually tried to mix using plugs having that kind of latency?

I have using my Samplitude mastering rig. The only practical way to do it is by processing the audio file before even attempting to ride a fader.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Have you ever actually tried to mix using plugs having that kind of latency?

I have using my Samplitude mastering rig. The only practical way to do it is by processing the audio file before even attempting to ride a fader.
Yes - quite often, and with no problems with it in Nuendo, but I don't use them in PT9 due to the additional uncompensated latency. Generally only at a final mix stage as I'm usually scoring with VIs and the additional latency is too much until that point.

Does Samplitude fully compensate for latency (busses and auxes)? I don't use Sequoia as much anymore, but didn't think it did, but I don't have the latest version.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:52 AM

Just to throw this out there. The reason there is such latency is that the audio has to go from the computer processor through the pci bus to the uad processor and back to the computer processor. So yes that induces a lot of latency. It's the trade off you pay for more processing power.

Maybe uad will release rtas versions that will give you the choice to either run on the host processor or the uad card. Then you could run plugs with a lot of latency natively, and use the uad card on the master buss or tracks where latency isn't an issue. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2010, 01:42 PM

First of all plugins like X-Noise were never meant for live mixing -- only as Audio Suite plugs. Secondly -- I have UAD and use it A LOT - never run out of ADC in PT9. Even with 3-4 per track. I run my buffer at 512.
Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghouse View Post
i use a uad2 exclusively for mixing. i have never hit the ceiling of the delay compensation. you do realize that if you lower your buffer size in your playback engine that the latency per uad plugin is cut in half, right? try keeping it at 256 samples. then, if you run out of adc, you are using too many plugins. :)
Only the fastest machines will bear running a mix full of plugs at 256k buffer. 512's the minimum I can go with 'full stability' and no CPU interrupt messages. And I even have an 8 core (3,1). At 256 on my usual 25-35 track mix full of plugs I get interrupt messages at 256k.