Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 AM

Default What do you set you playback engine to on a video satellite LE system?

I have finally hooked up our first video satellite LE system. I can't wait to kick the canopus to the curb in all our studios.

Anyways just a quick question. currently I have tested using Apple Pro Res (Basic) and it looks nice etc. I will test with ProRes(HQ) etc to see the difference etc. files size isn't much bigger 2 gigs over 20 mins.

Now what i was wondering is since I plan to use no audio on the system and it is a Mac Pro 8 core. I can choose pro tools playback engine host processors up to 16 processors should I set this high or Low? or does it make any difference at all?

My thinking is lower would allow more processors to handle the video playback? Or is that something that is taken care of withen pro tools? So I should set it higher?

I have tried low (2) and high (15) processor settings and I think (may be a mind screw thing) it seems to be more responsive at a lower processor setting

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks kindly
Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 PM

Default Re: What do you set you playback engine to on a video satellite LE system?

No one? with any ideas?

kd
Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 AM

Default Re: What do you set you playback engine to on a video satellite LE system?

I don't have Satellite but I do use Pro-Res 422 HD video in my Mac (8 core). I get 192 voices of audio, massive amount of plugins (RTAS and also max out the DSP), and I do full features. I also did a tv show that had a lot of cut and paste between episodes so...I put 13 half hours on a single time line. The system is 100% solid (in that sense but of course there are other issues). My point is that your Mac should be able to play your HD without any problems, no matter what setting your processor is set at, especially since you are not using the audio capabilities. It is using the QT engine. Look at the CPU usage both in PT and your Mac's activity monitor. If you are not fully resolved your system will not resolve to the video edge but that is something that is not fixable via more or less processors.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the input man.

kd