Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-04-2010, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Equality for all post mixers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
It does map to the center section. I had DMG send me an installer that did map to the center section. I will get him to post it on his website ASAP.
Here is DMG 's reply:
=================================
The updated installer is here with a changelog: http://dmgaudio.com/dl/EQuality%20v1.09a/
I don't have a DUC account, so please can you post on my behalf?

I can't update the default installer just yet, since this version needs more extensive testing before I can declare it a release version.

Cheers,
=================================
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan W. View Post
Saw the Q only went up to 50, Q10 is double that at 100. Nice graphical interface though.
You realize that the numbers in digital EQ's do not always translate. The numbers you quote are meaningless unless you provide their reference. There are many factors involved in creating an EQ, filter design, impulse, amplitude and phase response, Proportional or Constant Q, notch, bell, etc.......

As another illustration, with this EQUALITY, just with a right-click, you can switch from bell to notch, and yet the Q numbers remain the same! By the way, I think this is a handy feature. Setup and EQ, make some adjustments, but just need one notch along with all the others.

Trivia question of today :

WITHOUT looking it up, what does 'Q' stand for?

When I first saw it, it reminded me of the AIR EQ.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.armadillo View Post
Just out of curiosity: What is it you don't like about Q10? For surgical I still like it al lot. I wouldn't want to boost anything with it though.
I don't like it because it distorts easily and in a very unpleasant way, which reveals a lack of headroom. I don't like notching with only 18 dB of available range. I don't like ringing artifacts at high-Q settings.
That's why I'm using Equium (and later Unequilizer or whatever is it's name).
Looking forward to testing this new EQ plugin.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 PM

Oh very good one Tom!

The Q stands for 'quality'. The higher the quality, the tighter the notch. Wasn't the story that the name was made by the guys at the BBC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
You realize that the numbers in digital EQ's do not always translate. The numbers you quote are meaningless unless you provide their reference. There are many factors involved in creating an EQ, filter design, impulse, amplitude and phase response, Proportional or Constant Q, notch, bell, etc.......

As another illustration, with this EQUALITY, just with a right-click, you can switch from bell to notch, and yet the Q numbers remain the same! By the way, I think this is a handy feature. Setup and EQ, make some adjustments, but just need one notch along with all the others.

Trivia question of today :

WITHOUT looking it up, what does 'Q' stand for?

When I first saw it, it reminded me of the AIR EQ.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:38 AM

Thanks Marti, I'm really looking forward to using this.
Warner Bros. Animation

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0760851/
Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 AM

Very nice indeed (not only the practical aspects).

For the analyser I´d prefer a sonogram display. Is way more helpfull when trying to remove HMI whine and buzz that are very hard to see in a regular analyser display. I used to open Inspector post an EQ for this. Would be great to have that built into Equality.

What is the final purchase license like? iLok?

Frank.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:15 AM

Hi

I really like the interface of Equality, and the "gain/q interaction" slider is very useful, as is the spectrum analyzer.

But:

I did some test with other eq's trying to get nulling with same signal on 2 tracks with the other phase reversed and finding similar settings. I found out, that Equality has inaccurate frequency scale - I could almost totally null the signal with boost at 2 kHz on Equality and 2.181 kHz on Q10. My setting is:

Equality: digital setting, 6dB boost at 2000 Hz, Q=1.00
Q10: 6dB boost at 2181, Q=5.2

I used the same file of pink noise on both tracks.

This is not total silence, but the closest I could get at 2000 Hz

Similar inconsistency of frequencies was found with Digirack EQ3 and Waves RenEQ. 2K on Equality matches 2.18K on other EQ's

Also, if I feed it 1kHz signal from Signal genrator plugin, the analyzer shows a peak at around 910 Hz

A bug? Looks like it. Otherwise a great plugin, and who cares about the numbers if it sounds right...

I'm running PT LE 8.01cs2 on a G5 mac. 48kHz 24bit session.
Haven't tried other sample rates yet

Can anyone confirm this on their system?

T
Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postprosound View Post
Oh very good one Tom!

The Q stands for 'quality'. The higher the quality, the tighter the notch. Wasn't the story that the name was made by the guys at the BBC?
Half Right.

It stands for 'Quality Factor'. Specifically, the 'quality' of the L and C network. 'L' stands for inductors ('I' was taken up already for current) and 'C' is capacitors. The better the quality, the higher the Q factor.

I don't know the the exact genesis of the term, if it was BBC, RCA, or Bell Labs, Lagevin... In the '30's, John Volkman worked for RCA and he was developing some of the first variable EQ's (as opposed to fixed, like an RIAA or NAB curve) for Motion Picture playback. My guess is somewhere around this time. But it could be BBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
What is the final purchase license like? iLok?

Frank.
Not iLok. You download a license install program. You double-click on it and it authorizes your copy of the plug-in.
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 09-06-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklaavo View Post
Hi

I really like the interface of Equality, and the "gain/q interaction" slider is very useful, as is the spectrum analyzer.

But:

I did some test with other eq's trying to get nulling with same signal on 2 tracks with the other phase reversed and finding similar settings. I found out, that Equality has inaccurate frequency scale - I could almost totally null the signal with boost at 2 kHz on Equality and 2.181 kHz on Q10. My setting is:

Equality: digital setting, 6dB boost at 2000 Hz, Q=1.00
Q10: 6dB boost at 2181, Q=5.2

I used the same file of pink noise on both tracks.

This is not total silence, but the closest I could get at 2000 Hz

Similar inconsistency of frequencies was found with Digirack EQ3 and Waves RenEQ. 2K on Equality matches 2.18K on other EQ's

Also, if I feed it 1kHz signal from Signal genrator plugin, the analyzer shows a peak at around 910 Hz
I ran a similar test. I put a 2k sine wave on a track and inserted several EQ's with Notch claims.

With EQuality with a Notch at 2k, there was no sound reduction. I dialed around and found 1850Hz reduced it more than others, but it did not disappear.

Similarly, SONNOX Type 2 could not make it disappear.

Each of McDSP B1, DIGI EQ III, and Uniquelizer notches make the 2k sine wave disappear.
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 09-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Half Right.

It stands for 'Quality Factor'. Specifically, the 'quality' of the L and C network. 'L' stands for inductors ('I' was taken up already for current) and 'C' is capacitors. The better the quality, the higher the Q factor.
Hi,
as far as I remember:
Q equals center frequency divided by filter bandwidth.

So, for a notch filter at 1000 Hz, and a Q of 10, the notch bandwidth (3dB points) would be 100 Hz, i.e. from 950 Hz to 1050 Hz.

Cheers
Florian