Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-21-2009, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Digidesign is now Avid

I think Avid can make a record in a Guiness Book - The Worst Ever Logo Created!
That's funny that the company so much related to the art and picture - can allow to abuse it's own reputation in such a clear graphical tasteless way.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2019.10 Ultimate ● macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
MacPro 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon ● 24 GB RAM
Avid HD I/O ● Sync HD ● AJA LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 04-21-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbop View Post
What's the big deal Avid been the parent company for awhile and they are just hyping themselves so all the brands can help each others. Could be a restructuring for financial reasons probably pooling resources. Digi is still Digi from user standpoint.
If Dave Lebolt were back in charge of Pro Tools future development I'd welcome this move with a huge party!!

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIAFXMX View Post
Where's Peter Gotcher???
http://people.forbes.com/profile/peter-gotcher/26805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post
If Dave Lebolt were back in charge of Pro Tools future development I'd welcome this move with a huge party!!
Rail
http://www.avid.com/company/execbios.html - "he is responsible for the company’s strategic technology vision and user experience."
Old 04-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post
If Dave Lebolt were back in charge of Pro Tools future development I'd welcome this move with a huge party!!l
It certainly appears that whoever is in charge reports to Dave Lebolt!

http://www.avid.com/us/avid/management.aspx
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
Old 04-21-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I think Avid can make a record in a Guiness Book - The Worst Ever Logo Created!
That's funny that the company so much related to the art and picture - can allow to abuse it's own reputation in such a clear graphical tasteless way.

I agree about the logo. The color and the shapes remind me of the big purple buttons on cheap TV remote controls. It feels like 80's high tech and conjures up Nagel prints in my mind. It also reminds me of the old Audiovision I have collecting dust in the basement, with its matching purple.

It is also a little too much like the A.R.T. audio logo with its reliance on triangles and purple.

After Digi spent so much time evolving their image and refining the look of the Digidesign "d" logo as well as the different colored 3D logos associated with each flavor of Pro Tools, I am a little disappointed but I'm sure I'll get over it if they add the long awaited "Bin" feature that Avid users have always enjoyed.

-CCH
Old 04-21-2009, 01:38 PM

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...wpost&t=244502

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 PM

Mmmm... Toblerone.
http://www.toblerone.com/
Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM

Now I'm worried...

auc
noun
a terrorist organization in Colombia formed in 1997 as an umbrella for local and regional paramilitary groups; is financed by earnings from narcotics and serves to protect the economic interests of its members; "the AUC conducted over 800 assassinations in one year" [syn: United Self-Defense Force of Colombia] WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.
Cite This Source

From Dictionary.com

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:12 PM

One of the publicised reasons for the amalgamation of the brands is to foster closer relations, from this one gets the impression that the divisions were run as separate companies. This is good news because they want to make the interop of Avid Video and Avid Audio much better. They had better deliver, because it is a huge problem when it is thus far impossible to take an OMF from Avid, import to Pro Tools and then, with the same media on both systems, have a roundtrip with all Automation and plugs (within reason) play back on the Avid.
I have been pushing this particular embarrassing barrow for some time. "For goodness sake they are the same company" I get from editors, "But it is because of the Frame vs Sample nature of the 2 systems" I reply, "Not so easy" from Digi "But we are working on it".
Does this amalgamation mean that they will work much closer? I really hope so, and indications are that this is one of the reasons for the change.
my observations for what they are worth
Simon L.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleadley View Post
One of the publicised reasons for the amalgamation of the brands is to foster closer relations, from this one gets the impression that the divisions were run as separate companies. This is good news because they want to make the interop of Avid Video and Avid Audio much better. They had better deliver, because it is a huge problem when it is thus far impossible to take an OMF from Avid, import to Pro Tools and then, with the same media on both systems, have a roundtrip with all Automation and plugs (within reason) play back on the Avid.
I have been pushing this particular embarrassing barrow for some time. "For goodness sake they are the same company" I get from editors, "But it is because of the Frame vs Sample nature of the 2 systems" I reply, "Not so easy" from Digi "But we are working on it".
Does this amalgamation mean that they will work much closer? I really hope so, and indications are that this is one of the reasons for the change.
my observations for what they are worth
What it seems to me is the company is run by the video-oriented guys and they are failing miserably, while digidesign, for all its faults, is the gorilla of its market.

So I see LESS integration as beneficial frankly, the failed video products will just weigh down the successful audio products, the failed upper management inflicting ugly logos and branding on the successful operating unit.

If the moron count at any division reaches a critical threshold that cancer must be kept well apart from the other vital organs.

"Integration" and "synergy" and the like are great buzzwords but in practice these things are delicate, and the earlier management's strategy of letting e.g. M-Audio compete with Digidesign (and win! in the case of the Profire 2626) rather than forcing them to hold hands and sing kumbaya actually delivered the goods.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.