Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-18-2015, 03:17 PM

Default Leave Pt running or continuous reboots?

just a quick question, was curious whats better on the system and my hard drives. Leaving PT on Idle/in use for 12 hours or quitting it and and rebooting the entire system 5 times roughly in that 12 hours?

I know drives usually wreck when they're being spun up and I'm noticing my drive has been having connection issues lately, at least thats what I'm assuming because kontakt keeps losing samples. And ive been stopping and starting PT a lot, pretty much whenever I take a 30-60 minute break.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Leave Pt running or continuous reboots?

I will leave PT open all day, but I never leave a session open if I am gone more than 30 minutes

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-18-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
just a quick question, was curious whats better on the system and my hard drives. Leaving PT on Idle/in use for 12 hours or quitting it and and rebooting the entire system 5 times roughly in that 12 hours?

I know drives usually wreck when they're being spun up and I'm noticing my drive has been having connection issues lately, at least thats what I'm assuming because kontakt keeps losing samples. And ive been stopping and starting PT a lot, pretty much whenever I take a 30-60 minute break.
You might consider getting a new drive before the thing goes completely belly up (and make backups now!).

I leave PT running until I shut it all down for the night.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:02 PM

All hard drives should be set to never sleep or spin down

Old 03-20-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:

Albee's advice is good...if you are going to be gone for any decent length of time, closing your session is a good idea. Quitting PT is unnecessary.

My Mac is on 24/7, although the screen saver goes on when I go to bed. I've been doing this for many years, through many Macs. And you are right in that whenever I've had a drive die, it has been on boot up.

TH
Old 03-21-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Let the computer run all day and only shut down at night or when you go to bed. My systems starts up in the morning and runs all day, peripherals included. If you shut down peripherals but leave the computer running you can/will lose communication between the computer and peripherals and the computer might not see things when you turn them back on. Been there, had that happen. If I'm gone for like an hour I save/close the session, quit PT, and put the screen to sleep.

QAPLA!
Old 03-21-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Let the computer run all day and only shut down at night or when you go to bed. My systems starts up in the morning and runs all day, peripherals included. If you shut down peripherals but leave the computer running you can/will lose communication between the computer and peripherals and the computer might not see things when you turn them back on. Been there, had that happen. If I'm gone for like an hour I save/close the session, quit PT, and put the screen to sleep.
Hmm, was under the impression that SLEEP should never be used on a PT machine In any case, I recommend everyone connect the computer, screen and drives to a UPS(battery backup). At some point, it will save your aSSets

Old 03-21-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmm, was under the impression that SLEEP should never be used on a PT machine In any case, I recommend everyone connect the computer, screen and drives to a UPS(battery backup). At some point, it will save your aSSets
I don't let the computer sleep - just the monitor. There's a difference. With the screen sleeping the system is still live. I do that all the time when I'm doing clones; sleep the screen while the system does it's thing.

QAPLA!