Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 AM

Default Omnisphere and pt8.0.5 crashing

Hello my setup is imac 3.06ghz 12 gigs on snow leopard. Pt keeps crashing having one omnisphere open with eight channels running. I can not finish a session. I did all the stuff that you should to reduce the errors. Everything is setup right. External hd-1 processor- FireWire. Btw I have the 003 rack. I just switch back to pt from logic. I get bored to easy with programs but logic is smooth. With the same setup. If Any one can help me please and thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Lightbulb Re: Omnisphere and pt8.0.5 crashing

Please find the crash log for Pro Tools in the Console (/Applications/Utilities). When you find the crash log, look for a line that contains Crashed Thread X where X is some number. Scroll to that thread and paste the contents of that thread in your response.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Omnisphere and pt8.0.5 crashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmusic View Post
Hello my setup is imac 3.06ghz 12 gigs on snow leopard. Pt keeps crashing having one omnisphere open with eight channels running. I can not finish a session. I did all the stuff that you should to reduce the errors. Everything is setup right. External hd-1 processor- FireWire. Btw I have the 003 rack. I just switch back to pt from logic. I get bored to easy with programs but logic is smooth. With the same setup. If Any one can help me please and thanks
I personally have found Omnisphere, while wonderful, to be highly problematic at times, even in Logic, which tolerates VIs very well. I've seen Logic crash when merely opening Omnisphere, and then it will go for months just fine.

Best results I have personally achieved with both Pro Tools and Logic is using Vienna Ensemble, which while not solving this crashing problem you are having, may be something you might consider as a backup plan for those times when power hungry VI's bring on the grief in any program.

Tom Hartman
Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM

Im not sure if I can post it.I don't know how to find the crash log sorry.Well in logic I can have 8 different omnisphere plugins at once which is great.I hope some one can help cause I wanna go back and dig deeper in pro tools.I love learning
Right now I have 3 channels of omnisphere the 4th channel im just testing it out with everything playing and it crashes every 2mins while playing it just kills my work flow
Old 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM

Also make sure you are in SERVER mode when using Omnisphere in Pro Tools. Click the word SYSTEM on Omnisphere's interface and double check that it says "SERVER"....you can read about this in the Omnisphere manual, but basically it is meant for using Omni with 32 bit hosts like Pro Tools and helps avoid memory problems. It is not necessary in Logic.

Tom Hartman
Old 03-21-2013, 02:44 PM

Yea its in server mode.Cant figure out what else to do
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 PM

I might have to go back to logic 9.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 PM

Pain will be abated by using VE Ensemble in PT...I promise:)

Tom Hartman
Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 PM

No need to buy something I don't need.logic 9 works fine why can't pt 8 work smooth. It's just annoying. 4 channels of omnisphere it can't handle. I was looking forward to coming back to pt
Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 PM

No you don't need it in Logic, but you do in PT until PT goes 64 bit at some point.

Even in Logic, it's great though because you can have your whole setup loaded constantly, switch between projects and it's all still up and running.

Tom Hartman