How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Procedure to Transfer Used Hardware/Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
I am sure that Avid are aware of EU law on this and would not seek to break the judgement of Court of Justice of the European Union, namely "An author of software cannot oppose the resale of his ‘used’ licences"

See here - http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/d...cp120094en.pdf
wow.. wonder how this will affect other things.. apple for instance and the sale of their system (if someone purchases the software it's then used and could be sold as part of a new system). And good thing they specified that didn't apply to the reproduction rights safe guarding copyrights.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I would call Avid CSA and explain the issue. I'm reasonably sure that this is treated as a registration issue and there's no charge.
Thanks Scott. That's what I did...all good now.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Speaking as a user and not a moderator - since I'm not 100% positive. I believe all you need to do is call Digi CSA with the cards serial, your iLok info and presumably the new owners iLok info and they will approve the transfer.

They are trying to enforce the EULA everyone accepts when installing the software and cut down on the number of grey market copies of PT HD floating around out there. At least that's my opinion as to why they have made those changes.
Down the road or sooner a lot of old TDM users with HD 10 are going to want to buy HD 11 - while some may upgrade their hardware many others will not and just pick an interface an go the native route. Where does that leave them down the road? If they decide to jump ship to another DAW or close up shop.

Also Avid is forgetting about PT 11 CPTK users they have already separated the hardware from the software in 2010 - as time moves on there are going to be more and more HD software only users not fewer. Closing up the the no transfer rule has left Avid open to negative perception about the company that they are not willing to treat their customers with respect. Not being a conspiracy theory fan but this seems to be driven by dealers who what to shut down the second hand market. They second hand market is very important for Avid and even dealers because the buyers of those items will eventually will need software upgrades, plug-ins or other items. They need to look at the bigger picture here.
The key words Avid & Digidesign products sell well over $1M per month on eBay alone (much of which is used) and maybe this is a way for Avid & Dealers to limit the used market in favour of selling new products.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchwood Studios View Post
maybe this is a way for Avid & Dealers to limit the used market in favour of selling new products.
I am not sure if there is any evidence to support the fact that this will translate into new purchases.
This type of practise is what potential buyers recoil at imho
Old 06-30-2013, 06:37 PM

I called CSA and Avid refused to transfer my PT10 license after I sold my HD2 TDM cards and interface. I have no idea what to do now, the guy who has the system cannot run Pro Tools. Come on Avid! What gives?

The CSA operator told me to send my iLok to the new owner and from then on the new owner would have to contact me to make any changes to the iLok license if updated in the future. So this means he would have to send me the iLok and I would make any changes to iLok and then send it back. What a stupid thing to say! -Frank Bry, The Recordist
Old 06-30-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
I am not sure if there is any evidence to support the fact that this will translate into new purchases.
This type of practise is what potential buyers recoil at imho
I think given whole context of the statement - that was the 'jist' of what the poster was stating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recordist View Post
I called CSA and Avid refused to transfer my PT10 license after I sold my HD2 TDM cards and interface.

And there you have it folks!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 AM

Can anyone from AVID officially confirm that HD licenses are now no longer transferrable, even with an HD system? Or confirm that HD licenses will be transferrable on a system sale?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 AM

All I hear from some people is call ACS and they will approve the transfer. Complete and utter crap, they refused mine and I am very pissed off. They even confirmed my hardware transfer of ownership forms had been filed and approved. What is the deal Avid?

Last edited by The Recordist; 07-09-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 AM

... crickets... is all I hear from Avid
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantzen View Post
Can anyone from AVID officially confirm that HD licenses are now no longer transferable, even with an HD system? Or confirm that HD licenses will be transferable on a system sale?
A simple question -- I would also like to hear Avid's answer
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html