Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-24-2013, 09:15 AM

Default Procedure to Transfer Used Hardware/Software

I am sell a used HD 1 TDM core card plus Pro Tools HD 10 to a buyer.
I have the form fill out for the HD TDM card but there is no way to transfer the the HD 10 license to the buyers ilok.com account (the licensee says NOT TRANSFERABLE)

What is the procedure do I do to transfer the HD 10 ilok asset to the new buyer?

Why had this changed?
We sold a system last year and we transferred the license to buyer of the core card's ilok account it was easy.
Why does this seem not to be possible to sell card/software anymore?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Procedure to Transfer Used Hardware/Software

Hmmm, don't take this as the last word, but I wonder if you could move the asset to another iLok, then un-register the iLok, send it to the buyer, and they register it in their name?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Don't think you can do that anymore.

I'm confused by this too. Can't see anything on the Avid site about this. Ilok transfers of 9HD, 10HD, and I assume 11HD, are blocked now but there's no Avid statement about this. Also, I see HD licenses for sale but I'm not sure how people are managing to do this - except with brand new registration codes.

Pete
Old 06-24-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, don't take this as the last word, but I wonder if you could move the asset to another iLok, then un-register the iLok, send it to the buyer, and they register it in their name?
The ilok grace period is gone now - so there is possible way to sell a used Pro Tools HDX/Native/TDM system anymore.
You can sell the cards but with out the HD software the cards are useless.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:19 AM

Wait. So you are saying that Protools users can no longer even sell a system that they purchased?

Its official. My HD2 Accel rig is the last protools system I will ever own. Its getting all a little bit ridiculous...

Thats right, Avid! Your attempts to man-handle customers into spending lots of money buying your products is standing in the way of people buying your products.

Ironic, isn't it? If there were an option to buy just a HD native PCIe card + protools software, I would have jumped at the chance a year ago.

But as it stands, reaper fixes all the problems I have with my TDM rig... for just $60! Access to 64bit for VI's. Offline bounce for those irritating voiceover sessions where I don't want to wait 2 hours for audio to bounce.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
The ilok grace period is gone now - so there is possible way to sell a used Pro Tools HDX/Native/TDM system anymore.
You can sell the cards but with out the HD software the cards are useless.
Wow ..unbelievable

This constant squeezing of the lemon is tiresome.
the pips have squeaked

Last edited by Jay_uk; 06-26-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 AM

Speaking as a user and not a moderator - since I'm not 100% positive. I believe all you need to do is call Digi CSA with the cards serial, your iLok info and presumably the new owners iLok info and they will approve the transfer.

They are trying to enforce the EULA everyone accepts when installing the software and cut down on the number of grey market copies of PT HD floating around out there. At least that's my opinion as to why they have made those changes.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-26-2013, 05:51 AM

EDIT: Well, the above post popped in before I had finished mine. I'll look into that. Hopefully that will apply to just the software also...

Hey AVID!...... what is the official word on this? Now we can't sell transfer assets? I have a PT9HD/PT10HD bundle I have a buyer for and WANT to sell. I just bought an HDX rig with it's it's own PT10HD/PT11HD licenses and I have no further need for the old assets. What's the deal?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
EDIT: Well, the above post popped in before I had finished mine. I'll look into that. Hopefully that will apply to just the software also...

Hey AVID!...... what is the official word on this? Now we can't sell transfer assets? I have a PT9HD/PT10HD bundle I have a buyer for and WANT to sell. I just bought an HDX rig with it's it's own PT10HD/PT11HD licenses and I have no further need for the old assets. What's the deal?
I would call Avid CSA and explain the issue. I'm reasonably sure that this is treated as a registration issue and there's no charge.

I've asked Avid to post a FAQ on policy and transfers in the Buy and Sell section here the Avid website and perhaps iLok.com. Hopefully they will do that. And the information may be already on the website somewhere for all I know.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-26-2013, 07:28 AM

I am sure that Avid are aware of EU law on this and would not seek to break the judgement of Court of Justice of the European Union, namely "An author of software cannot oppose the resale of his ‘used’ licences"

See here - http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/d...cp120094en.pdf