Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-28-2013, 01:45 PM

Default How Do I Create a Grid from Midi Notes?

Hi Folks,

This is driving me crackers.

I'm mixing a Live Show at the mo. I've converted the Drums to Midi and I'm triggering them as what we got on the night wasn't great.

All i want to do is generate a grid based on each snare hit and work from there to tighten up a few kick drums.

I need an idiots guide for doing this. I've worked out how to TAB to each midi note and can create a marker for each one but surely there's a quicker way than that? And even then I don't know how to convert the markers into a grid.

I've tried Beat Detective but that just keeps dropping markers in at the start and end of my selection and not on the actually midi notes (or Snare hits if you will!)

Please Help!

Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 PM

Default Re: How Do I Create a Grid from Midi Notes?

Tempo not markers should do it.
Here is a 12 min vid on the making of tempo maps...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUjuN4lWJ_U
Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 AM

Default Re: How Do I Create a Grid from Midi Notes?

Hi, thanks for that. Some useful stuff in there.

All i really need to know though is this:

When I've got a Midi Snare hit selected, I hit Identify Beat which puts a marker in the tempo ruler, Is there a way of converting this marker to become an actual beat (line) on the grid?

I realise you can do this approximately by "identifying Beat" in Grid Mode and then manually dragging the line to the start of the Midi note, but this isn't very accurate and very time consuming.

Can anyone help?

Grateful as ever!