Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 PM

Default Is the forum better or worse since the adding of the new mods?

A relevant dialogue had begun regarding the new spirit of the forum after the adding of the many new mods, but the dialogue was cut short by Avid because 'it wasn't related to the original topic.'

It began around page 11:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=338380&page=11

I thought the topic deserved discussion, as did many others, so here's a new thread where the discussion is entirely related to the topic.

What do you think? Would you say that the forum is a bit too heavily monitored now? Does the forum need 4 different mods jumping into every post which contains anyone who proposes anything that's not entirely pro-Avid? Some mods are steering threads, and others are even taking issue with our personal opinions if they don't align with their own, editing and even deleting posts in some cases for this sole reason, though under the guise of keeping the peace. That's primarily what I've noticed in the 15 or so times I've visited this forum since the additions, though it was obvious on the very first visit.

In my "opinion" this should not be allowed by Avid's forum administrator(s). The forum is a different place now, not a better one.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Is the forum better or worse since the adding of the new mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
A relevant dialogue had begun regarding the new spirit of the forum after the adding of the many new mods, but the dialogue was cut short by Avid because 'it wasn't related to the original topic.'

It began around page 11:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=338380&page=11

I thought the topic deserved discussion, as did many others, so here's a new thread where the discussion is entirely related to the topic.

What do you think? Would you say that the forum is a bit too heavily monitored now? Does the forum need 4 different mods jumping into every post which contains anyone who proposes anything that's not entirely pro-Avid? Some mods are steering threads, and others are even taking issue with our personal opinions if they don't align with their own, editing and even deleting posts in some cases for this sole reason, though under the guise of keeping the peace. That's primarily what I've noticed in the 15 or so times I've visited this forum since the additions, though it was obvious on the very first visit.

In my "opinion" this should not be allowed by Avid's forum administrator(s). The forum is a different place now, not a better one.
I actually like the way the forum is going now vis-a-vis the user moderators. They're riding herd on threads that in the past would have gone on and on and on and gotten really nasty. Think back to the whole Waves/aax dsp debacle and a certain person who was accused of being a shill for Waves - let's not have that again.

Yes - some threads have been 'steered' as you say but for the better. And yes, posts have been modified but again for the better to remove inflammatory or innacurate material where it damages Avid. Posters here have to remember that this is Avid's board and they can run it as they see fit. If you want the wild and wooly go to Gearslutz. If you don't like the way the DUC is currently run then start your own board or use another resource.

Finally remember that the new user moderators are also individual PT users and as such have the right to their own opinions on all things PT and Avid and can so state here. Forum rules prevent a user from having more than 1 account so when they post on a subject that doesn't necessarily require a moderator hat they still have that as part of their online profile. i.e. they may post in a thread about some plugin and problems with that but not in a moderator position even though that's their title.

QAPLA!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 AM

I am also pleased with the new stuff overall(but they do need to add a new section dedicated to builds). The moderators have tons of experience and cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time. The DUC wasn't perfect before, and never will be, but its still worth its weight in gold for most of us

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-28-2013, 08:48 AM

I'll add that yes I have had posts of mine either altered or removed but those deserved it as I said some things in response to other things and it got out of hand. I just put my big boy pants on and accepted that I messed up and not come on and whine about it. Even been a participant in threads that have been removed but again I realized that was something that needed to be done because of what went on in the thread.

QAPLA!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The moderators have tons of experience and cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time.
No doubt about it. But those contributions don't require moderator status and were never in question in this or the other thread. People are taking issue with the oversteering of threads, not their personal contributions.

Musicman - not every edit has been positive, not from the standpoint of censorship. Far from it. And that's the point. As I mentioned, in the few times I've visited recently I've witnessed quite a lot of sour editing. Worse are the suggestions by moderators that another member's "opinion" is wrong. That's new, coming from persons with the authority to delete content. Too many posts which are even remotely anti-Avid have been getting squashed, and, at times, the author ridiculed. Sorry but that is not a moderator's job and it's not helpful to the zeitgeist of this community.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:10 PM

It's better than before. Nothing really wrong now that needs changing. Let things settle down and Avid should revisit how things are going in time frames of about another year.

Darryl
Old 05-28-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
No doubt about it. But those contributions don't require moderator status and were never in question in this or the other thread. People are taking issue with the oversteering of threads, not their personal contributions.

Musicman - not every edit has been positive, not from the standpoint of censorship. Far from it. And that's the point. As I mentioned, in the few times I've visited recently I've witnessed quite a lot of sour editing. Worse are the suggestions by moderators that another member's "opinion" is wrong. That's new, coming from persons with the authority to delete content. Too many posts which are even remotely anti-Avid have been getting squashed, and, at times, the author ridiculed. Sorry but that is not a moderator's job and it's not helpful to the zeitgeist of this community.
Care to show where a mod ridiculed a poster? There may have been some times where someone was called out by a mod and got what they deserved. As to calling someone's 'opinion' wrong there are people that state their opinions as fact and sometimes they are flat-out wrong and get called on that. I see no harm in that.

There is a way to post something anti-Avid but unfortunately there are people here who go way over the top when they do so and use the wrong language.

You sound like someone who's been called out by a mod. Maybe it was for a reason, who knows?

QAPLA!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Care to show where a mod ridiculed a poster?
In the very thread you quoted in your original post, for example. Just, that the moderator (or one of the others) deleted this post quickly after it has been released.
I don't care about mods or no mods. Who cares if threads go out of hand? This is the internet. You can close the window, when there's something going on you don't like, without it altering your life.
I'm also fine with mods regulating when things go out of hand. I grasp the concept, even though I would not call for it.
However I find the subtle arrogance that's lingering since the introduction of mods a bit off. I liked the DUC better before. Also I think it's too many of them.
There's not going on that much wrong on these pages that needs to be attended that often by that many authorities, imho.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 05-28-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You sound like someone who's been called out by a mod. Maybe it was for a reason, who knows?
So the only way for you to explain this thread is by applying vengeance as its motive? That's absurd. No, I don't think I've ever been called out by a mod in my 15 years hanging around this forum.

That's precisely the type of accusation I was referring to -- I share an opinion (shared by many others) and because that opinion doesn't parallel your own you feel that I must have an ulterior motive.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
However I find the subtle arrogance that's lingering since the introduction of mods a bit off. I liked the DUC better before. Also I think it's too many of them.
Agreed. And sometimes the arrogance isn't so subtle.

I get it - some take their mod status a little too serious, and weight is thrown around. It happens on every forum, initially, but most forums don't have nearly this many mods. Even GS, which has, what, 25 mods, and much MUCH more activity, is over-policed. But they've realized it and scolded their mods on several occasions for abusing their position.