Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2001, 03:27 PM

Default Re: audio waveform and mixer

u can call me idiot, but please answer~ [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2001, 09:41 PM

Ok Idiot*, here we go...

1- Are you talking about actually trimming the top and/or bottom of a wavefrom or simply meaning the way it's displayed? Hopefully, you're referring to the latter, which is and 'adjusted' view of the waveform. I never use it, but I believe it's somewhere under the 'preferences' menu. I hope you're using the same manual we got with our Pro Tools, mine seems to explain it pretty clearly?

2- Not to break your morning yolk, but the mixer you want will not have a compressor in it once you get it out of it's box. Compressors aren't usually found on mixers, you either use a plug-in, which your PT does have, or buy a separate unit to do just that. Some digital mixers may have compressors built-in, but not a Behringer 2004. It will however, have some descent pre-amps in order to get an intelligible microphone signal into your PC. They both do different things, in different order.

Pre-Amps...yes. Compressors...no.

Should you use both? yes.

take some free classes online. www.artistpro.com
you will learn a lot in a matter of days. If anything, you'll understand what's going on and what's doing what in your studio setup.

Good luck...

pk

*just kidding [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2001, 12:26 AM

Default audio waveform and mixer

Hi, I have a couple of questions.
1. In the disply of the audio waveform that I recorded in ProTools LE, I know that ProTools has a way to trim the top or bottom of the waves that are too high or too low. I read it in the manual, but I can't seem to do it. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Could someone explain to me how to do this?
2. I'm thinking of purchasing a Behringer 2004-A euromixer. I'm going to use it to record vocal, guitar , and bass. Does Behringer have a good compressor so that when I record vocal, I don't have to use another compressor? Does it produce a good warm sound for vocal and intruments, or are there better mixers that have similar prices?
Please get back to me ASAP.
Thanks~ [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2001, 01:26 AM

Using the limiter will trim your peaks, but it won't display the waveforms any differently unless you print the effect to a new file. If you use the realtime limiter (I recommend using all your effects realtime), your waveforms will still look the same, but will be louder and stuff...

Hope this helps...

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 08-02-2001, 04:11 AM

I don´t think there´s a trimmer for peaks, unless you go to sample level and use the pencil tool. Just keep in mind that reducing peaks from a 3-minute track with the Pencil Tool would take you, oh, about 2 weeks...

If you really need to trim the shape of the waveform, just like ReniuR said, use Audiosuite Limiter or Compressor.

Using effects realtime gives you the easy option of changing your settings ( as opposed to swapping whole regions ) if you don´t like the effect. But if you are absolutely certain about having "this much" limiting on a track, go with Audiosuite as that will save your CPU recources for other tasks.

Are you sure you aren´t referring to Track Height? ( just a silly question... )
Old 08-02-2001, 06:50 AM

Thank you Pk, ReniuR and kalle74 for replying.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
1.what i meant was that i wanted to trim peak with pencil tool. however, i think using the realtime Limter is better way to trim peak!

2.So, which compressor/gater should I buy to have good(decent) sound? I m going to use this with behringer 2004-A mixer.

Again, I appreciate all your helps [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]