Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2015, 06:42 PM

Default Building a talkback switch

My interface (RME Fireface UCX) has built-in talkback routing, but the switch is in the software. The three ways to trigger the talkback switch: (1) by clicking the button with my mouse, (2) by assigning a MIDI note to the talkback switch, or (3) buying a $230 remote for the interface.

The problem here is that I cannot change which note the interface listens for - it's permanently assigned to 94 (#A 6). Since I don't want to keep accidentally dimming my mains whenever I hit that note, it's not practical to use one of my MIDI controllers for this task. So I decided a better way to go about this would be to build or buy a single-switch MIDI device.

Does anyone know the cheapest way to go about this? I found a single product that connects to a footswitch and sends a programmable message. But it's expensive.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Building a talkback switch

I avoid all this by using an automatic talk-back setup that anyone can do as long as they have an available mic input. I used the Signal Generator plugin(routed to an audio track) to record 6 minutes of pink noise. This pink noise track has the fader all the way down(nobody needs or wants to actually hear it) Beside that track, I add a mono AUX track with its input set for my talkback mic(I use a boundary mic that sits on the top of my desk). On the AUX track, I insert 2 compressor plugins(the stock Digirack compressor). The first one is set to control the dynamics so the talkback can't get to loud in the phones. The second compressor is set for fast attack and release, 20:1(or higher) and is triggered by a sidechain(I use a mono bus). On the pink noise track, I add an AUX send to the same mono bus, and set the send to nominal and PRE-fade. When the transport is stopped, the talkback mic works and anyone in the control room can talk as the talkback track feeds the headphones(with a POST fader send). As soon as I hit play(or record) the pink noise track triggers that second compressor, which lowers the talkback level by 35db or so, which makes it inaudible while the transport is moving. As soon as I hit stop, the noise stops and the compressor opens the talkback mic I also have this already built into all my template sessions, and saved as a track preset(so I can add this feature to a session quick and easy

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-08-2015, 08:44 PM

I wonder if using the Controllermate software would help you here. You could assign a keyboard shortcut to trigger the MIDI note, either as a toggle or momentary trigger. It might require also setting up a virtual Midi device in Audio MIDI setup (Hm, if you're on a Mac), but would be an easy and inexpensive solution.
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 02-14-2015, 03:30 PM

If you have an ipad you can use TouchOSC...
Old 02-14-2015, 03:38 PM

... Or you could also, instead of using the talkback function, create a Totalmix snapshot. Since snapshots can be selected by functions keys (F4,F5, etc) you could switch between them quickly and have a "latching" talkbalk which can be useful sometimes.