Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Euphonix MC Mix & Pro Tools LE, any user\'s?

I recently brought a MC Mix (It arrives Friday) & I was wondering if anyone is using it with Pro Tools LE & if so, what are the results? I will post my experience once it arrives & I get to use it this weekend. I have a 003R (On a CUBE-1100 PC) & a DIGI 002 console (On a G5), I'm looking at swapping the two set-ups, as I'm also adding a Focusrite Liquid Channel & Final Cut Pro 2 (hence the mix).

Current Mac set-up:

Power Mac G5, 2.0 Hz, w/8GB ram, (2) 20" Cinema Display's, DIGI 002, running Leopard 10.5.4
Big Knob, Yamaha HS-50's, Art's MPA Gold preamp, Beyerdyamic DT-770 Pro & AKG K240's, Yamaha SPX-90, (2) Monster Power Pro 2500 surge protector's. CAD Trion 8000 mic & Blue Bluebird mic, Fantom X6, KORG padKONTROL.

Pro Tools 7.4.2 LE, Reason 3.0, GarageBand, Final Cut Pro 2

Plugins: McDSP Bundle, SoundToys Bundle, URS Channel Strip/Saturation, Abbey Road TG Mastering Pack/TG 2413Limiter/Brilliance Pack/Massey Plugins(all), Digidesign Producer's Factory Pro Bundle, Digidesign Music Production Toolkit, Bomb Factory Moogerfooger Bundle & various SSL plugins.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Euphonix MC Mix & Pro Tools LE, any user\'s?

Any insight would be much appreciated.....
Old 07-11-2008, 12:26 AM

?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 AM

You currently have a very limited number of users because PT has to run it in HUi emulation mode instead of it's native shell.
There are just better options available than using something that runs that way.
You don't get all the features the unit offers in it's native form and you don't get all the features of a real HUi.
However, you do end up with a controller that works to varying degrees with various applicatiions.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:59 PM

Hi, I have a Mc Mix and use it with Pro Tools. I have to say I am somewhat disappointed with its abilities in Pro Tools and there are still some bugs I have yet to figure out. Pro tools and Eucon seem to have trouble communicating sometimes (like after closing and reopening pro tools). I am still hoping that these issues are sorted out through updates because it is such a sweet controller, it runs seamlessly with Logic, but who wants to use Logic? I hope that DigiDesign bites the bullet and will support the Euchon Protocol. Maybe one day.

Anyways

Use with PT = 6/10
Use with Logic = 10/10
Use with Reason = 3/10

Bottom line: More work needs to be done with the HUI integration before they label this as a Pro Tools compatible controller, or DigiDesign needs to support the Eucon Protocol. Hopefully it happens soon, because I don't want to get rid of this thing or have to stop using Pro Tools.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks for your reply, I received the MC Mix, along with the ADL-600 preamp (GREAT). The MC Mix is running well with PT 7.4, the only thing that I wish that it had is a "quick punch button" option" (the MC Control doesn't even offer this), I'm not crazy about the the whole "foot-switch" thing. I had got acustomed to the DIGI 002 set-up. I'm going to stick with it for a solid two weeks & really dig into it's functionalilty, if it becomes a hinderence to my working enviorment, I'll return it (Sweetwater), switch out my DIGI 003R back to the DIGI 002 & just save up for the C|24.

Here's what I've experinced so far; quick & easy set-up, smooth responsed of faders, quick & easy use of switching between use of dual fuctionality of buttons.

The manual isn't very detailed, seeing that this unit along with the MC Control is aimed at the home studio semi- to pro-studio owners, it needs to give more detail as to how to switch between the use of the buttons.

I really learned how to use this unit, through the combination of youtube & Euphonix own website.

SIDE NOTE: I love the sound of the ADL-600, this was actual my 1st choice for a loooong time, I was going with the Liquid Channel(was out of stock, GOD-send) because of flexiabilty of pre's. Will add down the road or the (4) Pre-version.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Hi, I have a Mc Mix and use it with Pro Tools. I have to say I am somewhat disappointed with its abilities in Pro Tools and there are still some bugs I have yet to figure out. Pro tools and Eucon seem to have trouble communicating sometimes (like after closing and reopening pro tools). I am still hoping that these issues are sorted out through updates because it is such a sweet controller, it runs seamlessly with Logic, but who wants to use Logic? I hope that DigiDesign bites the bullet and will support the Euchon Protocol. Maybe one day.

Anyways

Use with PT = 6/10
Use with Logic = 10/10
Use with Reason = 3/10

Bottom line: More work needs to be done with the HUI integration before they label this as a Pro Tools compatible controller, or DigiDesign needs to support the Eucon Protocol. Hopefully it happens soon, because I don't want to get rid of this thing or have to stop using Pro Tools.
The sad part about the products indeed, Euphonix makes some nice units but they lose value if you are a PT user.
No chance of Digidesign supporting someone elses Proto, siince they are deeply placed in that environment.
We have clearly reached the point where the best PT controllers are going to have Digidesign logo on them.
As you can see by the recent changes they added to the LE line with the 003 Console they are still pushing forward, the next version of the Command 8 should be pretty interesting.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:53 AM

This was my fear when I was just thinking about adding it, would it be integrated enough to use with Pro Tools, I was really sold on have one controller that worked well with Pro Tools, Final Cut Pro 2 & Reasons 3, I really hate using the mouse, because it cause's you to lose focus of the sound & concentrate more on the screen. I'm going to try it out some more, but if it hinders my work-flow, it's going back.

Thanks to the both of you for your feedback & insight.

V/R

La Forest Gray
Producer/Engineer
[email protected]
http://www.myspace.com/laleproductionsinc
Old 07-14-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
one controller that worked well with Pro Tools, Final Cut Pro 2 & Reasons 3,
Unfortunately the MCU/MCU Pro is still the best ovrall controller for that job.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:22 AM

Hi All,
I heard about this board 2 years ago. I was very excited to finally see it coming out of... China. I bought a 12 faders system attached to my HD3 that worked fine for about 2 or 3 weeks and then.... well I don't know what happened, the board doesn't control PT anymore BUT PT controls the board from the software??? After many hours of testing and talking to CS, I'm going to send them back for evaluation and put my good old HUI back in service.
For a reputable company, this product feels cheaply made. The faders [the main reason we have a board] aren't as smooth as my HUI alps faders.
Also the fact that Digi isn't supporting EuCon protocol doesn't help either [Thanks Digi, ANOTHER fine move there from your part].
Although I have to use DIgi products right now, I've had my hands on Nuendo and liking it very very much.
My 2 DBs