Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 11-08-2007, 07:43 AM

Default How About Solid State?

I see that some of the PC based notebooks are switching to Solid State Hard Drives now. Alienware, Dell, and SONY all seem to be offering this trend now. There is a ton of techy stuff that can be debated about these drives but what I am interested in is this.....

Will Pro Tools LE or HD be able to run off of these new types of drives that are basically just large Flash drives?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Default Re: How About Solid State?

I thought I'd resurrect this old thread to stoke the discussion, since the likelihood is that SSD's will be here to stay on the market in the not-too-distant future.

I haven't been seeing much discussion on this (although there probably has been), but I'm sure that Digi has a ton of stuff on their plate other than qualifying these drives for use with PT. But since SSD's are inherently faster in magnitude on all the important categories, why shouldn't PT work just fine with them?

Here's a wiki article on the topic. Not that this article is the be-all info source, but just a resource for anyone who's interested.
Eleven Rack (live rig and studio rig!!)
Win7 * 003R * PT 11
Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 PM

It's more like mechanical drives are about to go the way of CRT monitors.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidwalnut View Post
But since SSD's are inherently faster in magnitude on all the important categories
Quote:
storage devices based on NAND Flash memory suffer from write performance that is typically two orders of magnitude slower than read performance
Some kinks to be worked out?
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:30 PM

Believe me, I'm a cutting edge technology freak....

But I don't think SSD's aren't worth it... yet. Why? Figure you'll get at least 2 years out of a conventional hard drive. Right now it's bigger and faster than any SSD on the market. 2 years from now the SSD's will be bigger, faster, and much cheaper.

The only thing I think they'd be worth putting in right now is a laptop that is constantly on the go. But even there, conventional hard drives in roughly abused lappies usually hold up longer than the laptop's battery pack will.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Believe me, I'm a cutting edge technology freak....

But I don't think SSD's aren't worth it... yet. Why? Figure you'll get at least 2 years out of a conventional hard drive. Right now it's bigger and faster than any SSD on the market. 2 years from now the SSD's will be bigger, faster, and much cheaper...
Yup. There'll be a crossover period where using the current mechanicals will make more sense for a few reasons. But it won't be long and the mechanicals will most likely go the way of the 5 1/4" floppy.

But what's more likely for the near-term is that mechanicals will be around for quite some time at a lower price point, and the SSD's will eventually come down to the current mechanical price point. Planned obsolescence and marketing and all of that stuff.
Eleven Rack (live rig and studio rig!!)
Win7 * 003R * PT 11
Old 09-17-2009, 09:25 PM

I don't see SSDs beating mechanicals any time soon in the $/GB formula
A 1 TB mechanical is about $100
A 256 GB SSD is about $700

that's not a gap, that's a chasm

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 PM

Moore's Law applies to SSDs but not to mechanicals. The current generation of SSDs are already obsolete but what's following them will probably consolidate what we now think of as memory and storage. This is what the rush to 64 bit addressing is all about.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidwalnut View Post
I thought I'd resurrect this old thread to stoke the discussion, since the likelihood is that SSD's will be here to stay on the market in the not-too-distant future.

I haven't been seeing much discussion on this (although there probably has been), but I'm sure that Digi has a ton of stuff on their plate other than qualifying these drives for use with PT. But since SSD's are inherently faster in magnitude on all the important categories, why shouldn't PT work just fine with them?

Here's a wiki article on the topic. Not that this article is the be-all info source, but just a resource for anyone who's interested.
the computer mags i read always some how mention ssd's, and last month (cpu) had an interview with a head of ocz talking about ssd's.

there read and write time is gaining serious improvements. read times up to 270mb/s and write up to 200 mb/s, this is creeping up on the max of the sata II protocol!! of course these are the EXPENSIVE models.

but they said there #1 market right now is netbooks so focus is in that right now. but the next gen of ssd's is ready and should have some pretty crazy specs and be in 3.5" format.

of course price is the biggest factor right now. as moore's law creeps up on them, prices should start to drop.....and i will be waiting

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-18-2009, 07:38 AM

When you consider the military implications of storage, you can bet that several newer generations are actually in production. The only real issue is that of selling off earlier technology before getting stuck with obsolete inventory.

This is why we have $100/terabyte mechanical drives today. It's why we had $200 32" CRT TV sets. The cost of manufacture didn't come down but drastically cheaper to manufacture silicon replacements were waiting in the wings.