Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2009, 08:55 AM

Default Euphonix MC Control/Mix

Have you guys checked out the new compatibility for Protools? They have done some sort of extended HUI implementation and it really controls a lot now. Just thought that I would let you guys know. I wasn't sure about it for Protools when it first came out, but with these improvements, it looks phenomenal. There are 3 videos that you can watch on their website that show the features.

God bless!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Euphonix MC Control/Mix

Yup, been running these since Feb 09 in fact.

Honestly, they're just 'ok' to me. The problem is the faders are really really loud when they "snap" into place (opening a session, closing a session, rapid volume graphing). Kinda a show-stopper during certain sessions...we pretty much disable them during mix approval sessions, way too distracting for clients. The constant plastic 'klackety-klacking' can be super annoying if you're working on a dialog track, for example, trying to hear pops and clicks.

But they're cool for tracking bands, nice to have instant access to mutes/solos, etc. I'm more in the commercial side of things myself, so I'm all about the Evoluent Vertical mouse. :)

These faders can also be mapped to control Finder and other applications, so that's kinda cool...there's buttons for "Empty Trash" if that's important to you.

Maybe the hardware will improve in time, quieter faders would be a good start. But I don't know what else is in this price range that provides similar functions. We have the MC Control, and two MC Mix fader packs.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:23 AM

About the noise...that's good to know. Is the 003 or Command 8 any quieter? How is the functionality of the digi stuff compared to it? The macro abilities of the euphonix are impressive.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM

We haven't got into the macros and stuff. And I haven't used any of Digi's interfaces...I wasn't in on the 'shop around' process when we replaced our console...just kinda showed up at work one day and here they were. :)
Old 10-22-2009, 05:53 AM

Anyone else feel that these are better with Pro Tools 8 now? I had one last year, but had to return it. The HUI support was lacking, and felt worse than a Mackie Universal - the worst part was faders not latching properly and snapping back to their previous levels after adjusting. Other weird behaviour too.

Would love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks!
Sig
Old 10-22-2009, 07:02 AM

Those units are sooooo cool! I am still considering them for my studio. get 3 of the MC Mix and a MC Control, very nice and clean setup.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 11-25-2009, 11:35 AM

Have anyone experienced any issues with MC MIX appearing in the PERIPHERALS page in PT LE (8.0.1 and 8.0.3pr, mac 10.5.8 and 10.6.2) but not "engaging" once that dialog is ok'd ?

My Baby HUI responds just fine (I tried not enabling it to trouble shoot the MC MIX, same thing) but, although LE has the first 8 faders in blue boxes (assgn. to MCMIX), the MC MIX doesn't "snap" or give me control at all !

I'm using the latest FW, 1.3.9 and EuControl 2.1.0

thanks for any advice !
Benny.
(ps, tried deleting prefs, reinstalling, etc..).
Old 11-25-2009, 06:44 PM

I have both units and I can tell you that they are excellent and look so cool as part of my rig, no communication drops at all, once you get comfortable with operation everything is great.