Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 05-05-2018, 04:38 AM

Default Pro tools MP9 sound card for more than 2 recording tracks.

Hello every one, I hope every one is doig well these days !

I'm recently new on DAWs and with PT especially.
I have a m-audio bundle, with the Mobile-pre sound card, and PT MP 9.
Running on win 10 with a decent computer (8Go of RAM).

The version of PT I have can record more than 16 track simultaneously and I dont see any limitation for the use I have so far inside the software.

The problem I have is that I can only record two mic tracks, due to the fact that my M-audio mobile-pre only has two imputs...

Is there any way to use more than 2 tracks with another hardware ? I understood that only this sound card let me able to lauch PT, in fact if the m audio is not there PT refuses to lauch/work. Is there a way to make the m-audio work with PT and having another hardware working with PT simultaneously ?

Maybe these questions are beginner-like but I asume I'm a bit lost on this, and my drums wait being recorded !

Thanks a lot in advance for any further help yu can give me.
Respectfully
V.

EDIT : - I forgot to mention I only have usb available (no firewire but can be change if it's the only way I can change my computer)
- sorry if my thread is not in the good place inside the forum or if the question has already been answered, the forum is pretty huge !

Last edited by TenukiMind; 05-05-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Pro tools MP9 sound card for more than 2 recording tracks.

You are somewhat limited for 2 reasons. #1-MP9 only works with M-Audio hardware. And #2-no firewire(the M-Audio Profire 2626 would be a great option but is firewire). If you are running a laptop, I have no help to offer, BUT...if you are running a desktop PC, odds are good that you could add a firewire card. In that case, post a Sandra report, or open the PC and tell us the model name/number of the motherboard and someone can probably tell you which firewire card to buy(and its important to choose wisely). You need a card with the required TI chipset and it needs to fit a slot on your motherboard(which could be PCI or PCIe, which are totally different)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-19-2018, 04:14 AM

Hello and thanks for your reply.
I noticed the 2626 could be a great solution but as you mentionned, I'm working with a laptop (absolutely needed cause I move very often).

I saw the M-Audio fast track ultra 8-R (https://en.audiofanzine.com/usb-inte...rack-Ultra-8R/) could be a good USB solution. Do you think it can be compatible with PT MP9 ?

Thanks again for any help you could give me.
Musically
V.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:06 AM

If your laptop has an ExpressCard slot, look at getting one of these:

http://www.siig.com/it-products/fire...presscard.html

Just make sure it has a Texas Instruments (TI) chipset.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-28-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenukiMind View Post
Hello and thanks for your reply.
I noticed the 2626 could be a great solution but as you mentionned, I'm working with a laptop (absolutely needed cause I move very often).

I saw the M-Audio fast track ultra 8-R (https://en.audiofanzine.com/usb-inte...rack-Ultra-8R/) could be a good USB solution. Do you think it can be compatible with PT MP9 ?

Thanks again for any help you could give me.
Musically
V.
While it SHOULD work, the reviews are not good and I remember a few users complaining about several channels failing back when these were more "current" If this version of software suits your needs, I would consider maybe moving to regular Pro Tools(not M-Powered). Staying with the second-hand market, a license for PT9 or 10 should be pretty cheap and it will open you up to several decent USB boxes from Focusrite, RME and MOTU

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave