Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 11-27-2020, 06:00 AM

Default Midi Editing Window Sluggishness

Hi there. I've been noticing that the more instrument tracks I use the slower and more sluggish editing midi in the Midi Window becomes. The thing is it's not nearly as slow when I open midi editing in the bottom bar with the arrow in the same session, but when I open the Midi Window just moving a note up or down makes PT take a second or two to think about it before it reacts to the command. I've seen some posts floating around about this but no solution as of yet. Anyone else here have this problem ?

Pro Tools 2020.11.0
OS 10.15.6 Catalina
Mac Pro 2019 16 Core, 384 Gb RAM

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Midi Editing Window Sluggishness

Yep jumpy note behavior. Notes delete when you start to move them when you don't want it delete. Jumps left and right but never locks before eventually locking to the position you wanted.

It's definitely usable but not exactly an elegant experience. Project markers also seem intermittent in appearing in the midi window i.e. they should come in when you expand the midi editor and sometimes they don't. Also the default action of the midi window should be to follow the timeline cursor or at least inherit the timeline settings from the main project window.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:56 PM

The solution is for everyone experiencing the issue to open a support ticket if they didn't already. Everyone complaining on forums but not reporting to support = low priority to fix.

(That's what i want to believe, at least)
Old 11-30-2020, 04:25 AM

I've got a way less powerful Mac than the OP has - see my profile via the link in my sig - and don't have the problems he's seeing. 30+ instrument tracks sessions no problem. Then again I don't have other things going on at the same time like web surfing.

QAPLA!
Old 11-30-2020, 07:54 AM

I'm not really seeing this kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 11-30-2020, 12:02 PM

Thanks for all your replies guys. I thought as much that some people would be experiencing it and some people would not. That it would depend on peoples workflows i.e. bussing, plugins, virtual instruments etc. I'm mostly running Kontakt instruments, Spitfire Audio instruments through folder tracks and running a fair amount of plugs.

I've used PT for audio since 98 but I have always used Logic for midi and this is not a problem at all there so its frustrating and makes PT midi look pretty bad.

What is a big mystery to me is why the Standalone Midi Window would be slower than the bottom Midi Pop Up Midi Window. That points to something in the coding of PT.

I will open a support ticket and report back what they say.