Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-17-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Bounce To Disk doesn\'t seem to work as planned

I'm not sure if any of you out there have noticed this or not but I was working in a studio the other day on a PT 7.2 HD system. The fader on the mixer was at 0db and no plug-ins were present. I needed to take files to a Nuendo system so I was starting the process of bouncing each file starting at the same point. I tried this a number of different ways and always ended up with the same result.

The resulting file was louder (noticeably, even by looking at the waveform) and I don't understand why. When bouncing like this in any other software I've tried I can tell that both the original audio file and the resulting bounced file are identical because I can put them each on their own track and reverse the phase on one of the tracks. If they are identical I should get complete silence.

This did/does not happen with PT it seems. Was I doing something wrong? Is there something else I can check next time this happens? Anyone else seeing the same issue?
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 08-17-2006, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Bounce To Disk doesn\'t seem to work as planned

a bounce summed to mono would be louder that the original.

were you using the same calibrated D/A? set at the same level?

so you have a file in PT and you bounced it. brought the bounce back in and they did not phase cancel? is that what you did? they should. unless something is corrupt in your setup. you did all the Good Housekeeping seal of approval steps as outlined by DIGI at the top of this forum?
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 08-17-2006, 03:37 PM

Can you just consolidate the files and then import them into Neuendo?

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 08-17-2006, 03:39 PM

I even went as far as to simply highlight and select to bounce (consolidate audio I think it's called). I then put the resulting file on a separate track and tried to phase cancel and it was the same problem. I was in another studio at the time and had never been there before so it's possible that something was screwy with their setup. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything incorrect.

Also, if I bounce to disk and it was originally a mono file set to a stereo output, can I not just have it bounce as mono without introducing gain changes?

Old 08-17-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I even went as far as to simply highlight and select to bounce (consolidate audio I think it's called).
consolidate and bounce are two dfferent things. bounce uses the bounce handler to MIX all the audio through the output selcted using whatever automation and plug-in processing is being used. consolidating is grabbing al lthe separate, but ofetn contiguous, regions and consolidating them into one new file. this process is unity gain and devoid of any automation processing. it is simple assembly.

Quote:
Also, if I bounce to disk and it was originally a mono file set to a stereo output, can I not just have it bounce as mono without introducing gain changes?
not if you are summing to mono. when you do that, you are asking the L and R signals (well, samples) to be summed.

setup a mono output and use that. better yet, print your file back into PT with all the automation you are using, and then 'export region as file' this newly printed file.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 08-17-2006, 05:39 PM

Ok, that clarifies that I actually did find a problem. I was using the consolidate audio command.

Here's what I did.

1. Duplicate playlist
2. Highlight the entire track so it would consolidate into one file exactly as I wanted
3. chose consolidate track
4. made a new mono track and copied the consolidated file onto it
5. phase reversed the new mono track
6. tried to play both the original (unconsolidated) file and the new consolidate file together to make sure I got perfect cancellation

The result was that the consolidated file was in fact louder (both in decibals and in looking at the waveform). The sound did not cancel out and therefore confirmed that something had occured when consolidating the audio.