Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 07-06-2019, 06:56 AM

Default HDX card dead? Or is interface?

I bought an HDX card last summer. Last week, sessions started crashing. The card failed Digitest. Avid support said crash logs show “The initial crash evaluation indicated a connectivity problem between Pro Tools and the HDX card during the time of bounce.”

I have 2 interfaces - 192 and a 96. 192 is primary. When I run Digitest, results state that the 96 has firmware, but 192 has none. I tried repeatedly to update firmware to no avail.

I’m a 20 yr Sweetwater apologist. Even did a video with em here last year. But in rare move, they said the best they could do is repair the card in 4-6 weeks. (Sure I’ll just close for 2 months).

So now I’ve got limited options. I can buy a new interface but that might not help.

I could reroute my IO maps using the 96 for now. But I don’t to monkey with some label mixes that (were) do this weekend.

If the card is bad, I’d hope Avid honors the warranty. If I got a new card, I could see if 192 IS the problem -but Sweetwater punted. and bc of holiday, I couldn’t get ahold of Avid. Kicking myself for selling my HD native card...

I can’t close for 4 wks waiting to “repair” a card that might be fine. I don’t want to outright buy a $3000 interface if my old one is fine. Same goes for buying a new card. I’ll spend the money. I just need to know which part I have to replace/

Sorry for the book. If anyone can offer advice, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:40 AM

Default Re: HDX card dead? Or is interface?

Simplify things for troubleshooting -- only connect that supposedly working 96 to the card and test again. If it doesn't, try another DigiLink cable. If it works, only connect that supposedly non-working 192 with that working cable and test again. If it doesn't work, you know what is broken.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:17 AM

The Avid hardware warranty is only 1 year. If you bought last summer, that HDX card may be out of warranty or near so. And Avid “repairs” are extremely expensive outside of the warranty
Old 07-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post
I just need to know which part I have to replace
As said, there are three hardware components in the equation; the card, the interface, and the cable. You will learn which is faulty if you follow my procedure.

The card you cannot swap right now but using a single interface you should be able to rule out a broken cable very quickly. If that's the case you are lucky. And if you have success with some cable and the 96, you also know that the cable is good and you can run a basic test session on PT to verify that your setup is solid. If you get there, testing 192 with the same cable tells you if the interface is good or not.

If everything fails with a simple single-interface setup, trying two different interfaces and two different cables, it is likely that the card has gone bad -- because in a complicated system like this it is most likely that only one component fails at a time and I would find it strange if both of your interfaces and/or both of your cables would fail at the same time.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:26 PM

Thanks guys. I hope it isn’t card. Had a death in fam and wasn’t in studio for two weeks. Warranty ended 6-29-19. :-(

HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 07-06-2019, 07:04 PM

What I learned so far (before I actually attempt the above).... Digitest fails when only the 192 is connected. When only the 96io is connected. Digitest passes. This is with different cables being used.

One would think it is the 192. But the 192 doesnt process plugins etc. And there are plugins (on the card and native) that dropout on the troubleshooting sessions. mostly one side of a stereo bus disappears.

Sweetwater was kind enough to now overnight me a card (which sucks in a way, bc my warranty is probably shot unless someone hoop jumps, and it is possibly the interface).

I wish I had another 192 laying around ugh.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 07-06-2019, 08:03 PM

And... had a client come by and sing into 192, then 96 (same cable)... 192 was dropping in and out (on the recorded wave, there were dropouts). 96 was fine.

So I need to explore interfaces after 15 years. Is a lynx aurora 16 still good? It would I need some sort of
Extra license with it? I need 16 analog in (really at least 9)

HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 07-07-2019, 04:24 AM

Why don't you just buy another cheap 2nd hand 192 from ebay to get you some more time to think about it? Changing interfaces is a big deal and every Tom, Dick and Harry will recommend you something different.