Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-31-2003, 06:27 AM

Default Tape vs Digital

I finally got my analogue tape machine fixed last night for the sole reason to archive many years of material down to pro-tools, and kiss analogue tape goodbye forever.
But then something happened.... the warmth of tape... so smooth, so sweet and well....warm! It sounds phenomenal. It must be the subtle compression that tape affords, or something magical.
I swear I wish there was a way to really capture that feeling in Pro-Tools... if some of you guys know then let us all know.
At the moment... despite the ease, efficiency, and affordability of digital recording, I think tape just sounds better. Is it just me?
I kid you not, if it were affordable, which 2" is NOT CHEAP, then I would get me a 2" machine and track everything to it before I even got to pro-tools.
Anyone else feel like I do?
Old 07-31-2003, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Tape vs Digital

Quote:
I think tape just sounds better. Is it just me?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why do you think most of us like McDsp-Analog channel so much??
If I could afford a taperecorder I'd be one of the luckiest people around, despite the fact that a tapemachine breaks down more often than a computer crashes... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
It indeed does sound better, it glues the sound together nicely, it compresses, it gives punch, depth, bottom, it just has character which 'zeros' and 'ones' unfortunately don't have.
If I could record my tracks to tape first and then go to Pro Tools: WWOOW! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2003, 07:28 AM

I am just amazed still.... my tape machine has been out of service for long enough for me to forget how it sounds...and its only an 8track. I am considering keeping it now to track drums with.
I thought I was up to date on plugs... what is McDSP?
Old 07-31-2003, 07:34 AM

oops found Mcdsp....cool enough, but Mac only from what I read.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:54 AM

I saw an 8 track 1/2 inch tascam in a pawn shop the other day that I was thinking of getting just to track some things directly into it and transfer to ProTools. I don't think everything works the best that way, but would like to have the option and variety of both digital and analog sounds. I'm can't wait to play around finding out what types of things sound better recorded analog and which better digital. No sleep for me! Man, I gotta get a life LOL.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:25 AM

5 years ago I sold my 1"-16 track and have been kicking myself ever since.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:33 AM

I'm thinking of finding a mid-range Studer 1/4" 2-track for mixing. That might be the hassel free way to get some of that tone. 15ips for fat bottom and a bit of squash. ymmv
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 07-31-2003, 09:37 AM

My brother had a big sony tape mashine. A word of mine would had been enough to have had it standing here. As he was plundered already by his friends I didn´t want to belong to those who ask [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Damn, I should had. Anyways ...
Old 07-31-2003, 10:10 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what everyone is talking about is capturing the effect that tape has on sounds, not necesserily analog vs. digital; since actual sound is analog, aren't we sending analog sound to Pro Tools which end up as digital data either way? Since you dump tape to Pro Tools anyway, I guess what people miss is the effect that tape has on sound, not necessarily analog. I am a hobbyist (for now) and went straight from a 4-Track cassete recorder to 001, so I don't really have great memories of tape, but I think I understand what you guys are talking about. Sort of like using a tape machine as an outboard pre-converter effect.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:10 AM

Well here is an admission, and my admission is in itself an amazing tribute to tape. My machine is a Tascam 238 - which is 8 tracks on cassette and it still sounds great.
The quality had seemed to be waning in the last few years before pro-tools, so when I went digital, it was like a breath of fresh air. Now that I have it restored to like new condition it just sounds fantastic.
that was a really good machine for sure.
I am still wondering should I sell it when I am done with it, or keep it. What do you guys think?