Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2010, 01:12 PM

Unhappy No sound from new Eleven Rack

I have got my Eleven Rack two weeks ago and I still did not manage to get a single sound out of it.

If running standalone there is no sound in earphones at all (I do not use an amplifier).

I have new PC with Windows 7 Pro 32b. During the installation of Pro Tools LE there were no problems or any warnings. I connected the hardware to PC using USB cable. The software looks synchronized with the hardware, since the Eleven window responds to changes on the Eleven Rack.
When I start Filtered Dream mix as suggested in installation guide, everything works well except that there is no sound.

I upgraded the hardware from firmware 1.0.2 to 1.0.3. No improvement.
I upgraded software to 8.0.4. It did not help either.
I went through Windows Guide - Windows 7 Optimizations and troubleshooting. No change for me.

What worries me is that if I look inside from the left side of the box I can see two red LEDs blinking. Is this normal? There is one green visible from the right side of the rack.

I did not find any self-check od diagnostic functionality. Is it possible there is none?

I am afraid that I have bought myself a malfunctioning device. Please help.

Isidor
Old 10-02-2010, 01:18 PM

Default Re: No sound from new Eleven Rack

get a replacement from the place you purchased from, or call avid and send it to them for repair, should be free.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-03-2010, 04:24 AM

Fourth member of the forum reporting the "no sound" issue since last Sunday. Does it ring the bells at Avid?

Isidor, as a quick fix, you can try a memory reset and/or go to the User Options and toggle back and forth between different sampling rates. According to Chimp, one of the Avid guys chiming in every now and then, "Sometimes on faulty units like this, toggling the clock source will 'wake things up'." (IMHO it is high time for Avid to wake up. The Line 6 POD HD does not seem to be that bad ...)

You should definitely contact Avid support:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=283202&page=2

I have not been able to find a phone number for customer support on the Avid website. I only found a phone number for tech support (I do not need tech support, I need to talk to somebody will tell me where to ship my unit), and when I tried to call them up, I have been asked to enter an Avid Support Code that can be bought from the Avid Shop. WTF??? I am not willing to pay 40 Euros for a "low-cost" (!) per incident and per-minute support in order to get a defective unit replaced ...

You can as well add a case online at the Avid Support Center. But be prepared for waiting at least two weeks before receiving an answer.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:16 AM

Thanks Ralf_T for your tip about the sampling rates!

I have previously performed the memory reset several times in order to be certain that one my trials would not be the cause of silence. No success.

But now I tried to switch through the SAMPLING RATES up and down, and the damn thing really woke up!

Thanks a lot again for this help - I am quickly running back to check how all other things are performing now....

Isidor
Old 10-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Avid

You will still want to replace your Eleven Rack if it has shown this problem...glad it's working for the time being, though!
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 10-04-2010, 03:04 AM

Yes I will obviously have to send it back. The thing is that it is not performing as it should when connected to ProTools. When I start a PC and run PT only a strong crackling noise comes from the speakers (connected to Eleven Rack). Something like Geiger counter, but really very loud (the Volume knob on Eleven is not functioning). And this noise goes on when I open the session, add a track and define input and output. The audio signal does never come through.

And when I close the PT and shut down the PC the guitar sound does not return to Eleven Rack. Even if I turn it off and back on. I have to Reset Memory and then the sound appears back again.

I have one doubt - If I send the device back for replacement - how big chance do I have to get a good device back? After what I've read on forums there is a whole bad serie on the market (condensators failures or something...). And mine had firmware 1.0.2 which means there can be a lot of old stuff in the warehouses. Anyway, if Digidesign is aware of these troubles than why don't they call them back like Toyota did with cars?

Has anybody any experience with their service - I read they claim to send the repaired device back in two days? Would not then be better to send it there?

Isidor
Old 10-04-2010, 02:28 PM

You should contact Avid Support, just like Chris suggested. I looks like this is the only way to make sure you will receive a properly working unit ...

Avid Support will tell you where to sent the unit. If you have to send it overseas you will not receive a replacement unit within two days (Maybe if you were living in the USA).

Just like I mentioned earlier, you should be prepared for waiting about 2 weeks until you receive a reply form Avid Support (this is my experience with the customer support) when contacting them online, unless you are willing to pay money for an Avid Support Code to talk to them on the phone If you have not done it yet, register your unit and add a case to the Support Center.